Conservatives protecting Murdoch again?

Have I just heard right, the Conservatives didn't vote to condemn Murdock in this phone hacking report ?

Are they scared that Murdock will drop Cameron in it or something ?

Do you think the select committee gave a reasonable and un-emotive statement? Personally, I don't - I wouldn't back such statements, even if I agreed with the under-lying sentiment.

Do you think the select committee gave a reasonable and un-emotive statement? Personally, I don't - I wouldn't back such statements, even if I agreed with the under-lying sentiment.

Look you either accept that the man at the top is in charge and accountable or not.

The Tories obviously don't hold that view or Jeremy Hunt would have been given the boot, so its not surprising that they are all to happy to lay the blame at those working for Murdock just as long as they don't have to lay the blame at his door.

What happened to 'the buck stops here' ? Something, I believe, Murdock himself recently said (or words to that effect).

Look you either accept that the man at the top is in charge and accountable or not.

The Tories obviously don't hold that view or Jeremy Hunt would have been given the boot, so its not surprising that they are all to happy to lay the blame at those working for Murdock just as long as they don't have to lay the blame at his door.

What happened to 'the buck stops here' ? Something, I believe, Murdock himself recently said (or words to that effect).

Arghhhhhhh - big rant which ignores my point!

Indeed. Unfortunately the Tories who helped produce the report have been done up like kippers. They support practically all of it but history will show they failed to sign it off. And the reason they refused is unfortunately something we all know to be true.

It makes them look like they are actively propping up the Murdochs. The curious thing is how Labour and the LibDems came together.

They had a good point though. The job of the select committe is to investigate and report it's findings. It found that they were mislead by the Murdochs, which the Tory contingent agreed with.

But was it within the scope/remit of the committee to pass comment on who is/isn't fit and proper to run a private company? And possibly an improper political attempt to influence the current ofcom probe.

Those intelligent enough to grasp the implications of allowing a media moghul to set up a web of bribery and blackmail resulting in a rot of corruption which spread from the heart of government to the top of the police.

It means that the media are running the country: presumably this is a mediocracy.

But was it within the scope/remit of the committee to pass comment on who is/isn't fit and proper to run a private company? And possibly an improper political attempt to influence the current ofcom probe.

It's within their right to state as much in their report, but that report holds no legal weight, unlike the upcoming OfCOM report.

As for influencing the probe, I doubt this will add any additional influence as compared to all the other MPs, civil servants and other stake holders who will have been trying to convince OfCOM that they're fit/unfit. It was always going to have been a challenge for OfCOM to provide an impartial view of the issues, I don't think this will have changed anything (other than a more public awareness of where the battle lines lay).

Remember as well that the Tories wanted to scrap OfCOM and make it a Government department rather than a arms-distance quango.

They had a good point though. The job of the select committe is to investigate and report it's findings. It found that they were mislead by the Murdochs, which the Tory contingent agreed with.

I did say they supported practically all of it.

The point about this is not what they refused to sign up to. Even if it was true it used wording that was overly strong - there are smarter ways to get the same message across. The importance of it is how it has forced the respective parties to take one side or another.

The Tories have ended up looking like they support the baddy. Labour and LibDems have delivered a damning message and aligned themselves correctly for a new media landscape in this country. The Tories have been left behind again and at odds with the public mood. The headline is they support the Murdochs who were ultimately accountable for the hacking of a murdered girl's phone. LibDems and Labour simply could not have distanced themselves more - the Tories still look close. I think this is forming up to be today's Tory shambles.

Indeed. Unfortunately the Tories who helped produce the report have been done up like kippers. They support practically all of it but history will show they failed to sign it off. And the reason they refused is unfortunately something we all know to be true.

It makes them look like they are actively propping up the Murdochs. The curious thing is how Labour and the LibDems came together.

The curious thing is how Labour and the LibDems came together to commit complete political suicide. The Tories may have their reservations about Murdoch but they still respect his power in the worldwide media. No such common sense for Labour and the Lib Dems. New Labour bent over backwards (and forwards) to pander to Murdoch and it got them elected time after time. Obviously they think they can do it without Murdoch's help next time. Good luck with that chaps.

Archived