Conservatives protecting Murdoch again?

The curious thing is how Labour and the LibDems came together to commit complete political suicide. The Tories may have their reservations about Murdoch but they still respect his power in the worldwide media. No such common sense for Labour and the Lib Dems. New Labour bent over backwards (and forwards) to pander to Murdoch and it got them elected time after time. Obviously they think they can do it without Murdoch's help next time. Good luck with that chaps.

I think you've got it the wrong way round. Murdoch is fatally damaged in the UK. And under scrutiny in the USA too - and they don't mess about.

The curious thing is how Labour and the LibDems came together to commit complete political suicide. The Tories may have their reservations about Murdoch but they still respect his power in the worldwide media. No such common sense for Labour and the Lib Dems. New Labour bent over backwards (and forwards) to pander to Murdoch and it got them elected time after time. Obviously they think they can do it without Murdoch's help next time. Good luck with that chaps.

Just because Murdoch is very powerful it does not mean that he should not be stood up to when he is in the wrong.

Same goes for anyone with power. Just because somebody is powerful it does not mean that they can absolve themselves of responsibility. Quite the opposite.

Have you read some of his other columns? I'm trying to work out if Mullen is a spoof or not. :)

I'm still convinced that some Telegraph colummists are spoof's of ideological right wingers (James Delingpole) and Blairite's (Dan Hodges).

So lets go back to politicians sucking up to Murdoch again as if all this never happened. Because that will be the result if all the parties show the "common sense" you suggest.

Mod Note

Please note that deliberate misspellings of names may be satisfying, but some of our users use screen readers to read these forums and they cannot make sense of them.

Please try to restrain yourselves and use proper names.

So lets go back to politicians sucking up to Murdoch again as if all this never happened. Because that will be the result if all the parties show the "common sense" you suggest.

He may not be a fit and proper person to run a business but he pays the wages and calls the tune at a huge number of titles and TV stations. If he goes down I suspect he'll take a lot with him and that includes the British establishment. As observed by another if he gets caught doing it in USA he'll be doing a Maxwell.

He may not be a fit and proper person to run a business but he pays the wages and calls the tune at a huge number of titles and TV stations. If he goes down I suspect he'll take a lot with him and that includes the British establishment. As observed by another if he gets caught doing it in USA he'll be doing a Maxwell.

I think that is the fear Jim - what Murdoch knows and what he can do to people. The Tories seem to be the most frightened at the moment and no doubt Murdoch could cause real damage to all the parties. It's probably a case of who can be damaged the most.

News Corp owns only 39% of BSkyB - I'm sure they could continue to buy the rights to most of the major sports events without News Corp. Greg Dyke was just on Newsnight saying that BSkyB are probably better off without him now.

His newspapers would also survive under different ownership - unless of course they were only successful because of the stories they got through phone hacking/paying police officers/etc., in which case good riddance. Any journalists not involved in the scandal can get jobs the newspapers that would pop up to replace them.

Archived