Can you rent a property out to your ex partner?

If you have a child together then your legally obliged/have a responsibility to put, or help, put a roof over that child's head. If your child does not live there then you may have a case if she is your ex and you have no marital ties.

You would have an hard time I imagine trying to get her to say claim housing benefit if your child lives in the house.

I may be wrong, but if I am right then its open up for abuse and I imagine they will have thought about things like this.

If you have a child together then your legally obliged/have a responsibility to put, or help, put a roof over that child's head. If your child does not live there then you may have a case if she is your ex and you have no marital ties.

You would have an hard time I imagine trying to get her to say claim housing benefit if your child lives in the house.

I may be wrong, but if I am right then its open up for abuse and I imagine they will have thought about things like this.

It may well turn out that paying the mortgage himself, as his contribution to the child's upkeep, is cheaper than having to pay maintenance to his ex to cover the rent she pays him to cover the cost of his mortgage...

...that's assuming they would allow her housing benefit at all, when she's renting from an ex-partner. I know you can't get it when renting from a relative.

Why don't the Mods just start a new section in the interest groups oh how to get on benefits and stay on...it would be the busiest thread on here, give the Muslims a break anyhow :hihi:

I think with your child living there and so being a part of the claim, it becomes 'renting to a family member'. If your ex can't pay one week, you're hardly likely to evict your child. I'm not 100% but think you may run into problems.

Archived