Can you rent a property out to your ex partner?

If you own the property and you have the permission of your mortgage lender (assuming that there is still a mortgage on the property) to let the property then of course you can rent it out to your ex.

Whether you can convince the powers that be that you genuinely are separated from your ex is another matter though, so I'd suggest contacting them and finding out exactly what sort of proof they would expect you to provide, rather than just crossing your fingers and hoping. Whatever you get from them, keep it in writing along with your proofs, as they have a worrying ability to lose things, deny ever having received things and the like.

My landlord is the parent of my child

You won’t be able to get housing benefit if you are (or your partner is) responsible for a child and the landlord is a parent of that child.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_if_renting_from_a_family_member

I’m renting from my ex-partner

You won’t be able to get housing benefit if you rent your home from:

your ex-partner – and you and your ex-partner used to live there together, or

your partner’s ex-partner – and your partner and their ex used to live there together.

Are u both on benefits at the moment,only asking because if you are working and paying a mortgage you would have some financial gain if you rent the property out.Also if house still on mortgage you do have to ask permission to rent it out.All seems a bit complicated to me,cant u just sell up and split the proceeds no messing about and all that.

Archived