Government announces Vehicle Clamping Ban

I can't decide if I agree with this legislation myself. Sure there are some cowboys out there, but quite frankly if you're parking on private land where you clearly shouldn't be, why shouldn't the owners of that land be able to do something about it?

Seems to me this gives free licence for anyone to park anywhere - not just in shop car parks.

In addition:

There is a suggestion that the bill is already law and that the link I posted earlier was out of date. I am in the process of trying to be definitive about this. In the meantime:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/protectionoffreedoms.html

As Moosey says - make sure you go through the proper court procedures if you have to issue a claim.

He was saying that the pre court procedure is important. Courts prefer you to have made an attempt to resolve the issue first without issuing.

I can't decide if I agree with this legislation myself. Sure there are some cowboys out there, but quite frankly if you're parking on private land where you clearly shouldn't be, why shouldn't the owners of that land be able to do something about it?

Seems to me this gives free licence for anyone to park anywhere - not just in shop car parks.

Presumably there will be a lot of land owners putting up barriers now...

It's a balance that needs to be struck, people shouldn't just park wherever they feel like it, but the clampers have been out of control for years (or so the media portrays).

I suspect that would be criminal damage... They could remove it though, if they can do so without damaging it. Perhaps we'll have impound yards which charge £100+50/day storage fee...

Or perhaps if their land isn't secured and they don't actually suffer any damages from people parking then they haven't got much of a case to argue...

Archived