Government announces Vehicle Clamping Ban

I don't think "much of a case" is even relevant. If it's my land, I decide who can and cannot use it.

I quite agree.

But the legal remedy when someone ignores your decision should be limited to a civil claim for the damages they have caused... Not extortion by holding their vehicle to ransom.

I reckon this is the Libdems in action, I doubt weather a full Tory government would have done this. Why didn't Labour do it??

You could be right.

Lynne Featherstone, Lib Dem MP for Hornsey proposed it.

Is this just clamping then or will it cover towing away too? Last bank holiday I was clamped and towed within 15 minutes.

I'm guessing unless towing is explicity outlawed and "they" can't clamp it'll end up going straight to towing (and cost a lot more to release vehicle).

I don't think "much of a case" is even relevant. If it's my land, I decide who can and cannot use it.

If its your land then you want to have blocked it off with the looks of it because clamping, with the sounds of it, is off the cards.

I have never been clamped but a friend of mine did and I had it off in 15 minutes and threw it on the back of the clamper's tow truck when they drove past looking for it.

It wasn't damaged as he was scared he would get done, and in fact still locked when I gave it them. I let the tyre down on my friends car and took his wheel off, releasing the clamp. All it took was a bit of working out how it was attached.

If I ever had one on mine I would be home for the Stihl saw, chop it to pieces and weigh it in.

Is'nt it amazing that scammer clampers were sh*t scared to clamp 'travellers' when they decided to park up on private land?

The BPA (British Parking Association) has lobbied Parliament over Schedule 4 to include Clause 56.

For those that don't know clause 56 can be summarised thus:

"It allows creditors to pursue the registered keeper of a vehicle for unpaid parking charges, whether or not the keeper was the driver at the time the charge was incurred. This allows a creditor to hold a non-contracting party responsible for a breach of contract in which they played no part. This would undermine a long held legal principle. Clause 56 also requires parking operators to meet certain conditions before they can pursue the keeper of the vehicle for any unpaid charges. But it places no burden of proof on the parking operator to demonstrate that these conditions have been met, nor does it provide a system of dispute resolution for vehicle keepers pursued for payment where these conditions are not met"

The opposition to the clause is not because people wish to condone breach of contract in private/civil parking matters but because this clause changes the basic nature of civil contract law.

As the scammers have got a maximum of 6 months before their illegal activities are finally outlawed then you can expect them to redouble their efforts to fleece as many people as possible. Visitors to the Olympic Games are in for a few surprises no doubt.

We ought to introduce a new sport into this years Olympic Games:

Shooting Clampers at Close Quarters with 1 Bullet.

I'd watch.

Is this just clamping then or will it cover towing away too? Last bank holiday I was clamped and towed within 15 minutes.

You shouldn't have parked on the centre spot at Wembley stadium then even if you did have your hazard lights on :)

Archived