Would you buy a red car?

On a purely aesthetic decision I think I'd probably plump for white although I could be correct in saying some brands/models are not made in white. Been thinking of getting a white Fiat 500 just as a little runabout.

That's what I've got and they are a fantastic little car. Very economical on petrol. Brilliant little car.

My wife's car was a Burgundy red 1991 Honda Accord. We kept it for almost 12 years.

The paint was perfect. It was waxed every six months and kept mostly in the garage when not used. I've seen a few red cars that have faded or peeling paint. They are not that popular where I live. Everybody seems to like silver metallic, white or black these days

My son's pickup truck is red. I hesitated when buying it because red cars attract more attention. The color is something called Aztec Red. The previous owner kept it mostly garaged so the paint doesn't look too bad, but you can see the fading starting a bit on the hood. (bonnet?)

Yellow, I do not care for. My neighbor has a yellow SUV and it looks like a toy. Agree with medusa, black shows every bit of dirt though it's awesome when clean. And my husband's old car was also a metallic beige that never looked dirty. It was called 'champagne'. Haha.

Daughter's car is pearl white, that's a pretty color. I guess I would buy a red car.

Ive only owned two red cars, the first was a 1982 Fiat X19 that kept its color for the 14 years I owned it, the other one was a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker. The color on it faded within two years so I got rid of it.

I have a mate, and I trust his opinion on cars (he's that sort of know it all). He said that he would never buy a red car, regardless of make or model. This isn't due to the pre-conceived ideas that it attracts attention from the police, but something about the sunlights reaction with red paint (and this ONLY works with red paint) according to him. Is this true, in today's day and age? Will a nice new red car deteriorate faster than other colours. Is this why we see boring coloured cars on trhe road these days? I'm asking because I'm looking, and I like red.

I can honestly say we have resprayed more red cars in the past years when i was in that trade than any other colour.Thats just including ones that had lost its colour not down to rust or insurance jobs.

I would never by choice have another red car. I've heard it said that the paint oxidises. I have no idea of the science of this, but I've had two red cars. One was a relatively new corsa, and the other was a big Audi. Both were a nightmare to keep looking even half reasonable. They both eventually went that sort of dull, pinky sort of colour. It was damn hard work to keep it at bay, and needed polishing far more than any other car I've owned (and I've had dozens over the years).

By far the easiest to maintain, and didn't show the dirt, and looked good all of the time was a gold mondeo. Even a rain shower seemed to wash it, and bring it up sparking again. I've never known any other car like it (colour - wise)

We seem to be only having green cars. Not by design, either.

My first UK car was a Hyundai S-Coupe (factory-lowered SEi, it actually looked quite decent, as these went) in a very dark metallic green. You needed some direct sunshine on it to see that it was actually green, not black.

The one-but last Impreza was a dark metallic green (not as dark as the Hyundai above).

Our MX-5 (12 yrs owned) is a limited edition green.

Our V50 is dark metallic green ('old man' :hihi: /'gentry' kind of green).

Oddly, colour was never a reason/deliberate choice, for any of the above. It's more kinda "we were looking for that car type/model/spec, we ended up with a green one".

And yet, the only non-green cars we've had in the past decade and a bit (metallic royal blue Fiesta, metallic 'purplish blue' Brava, metallic silver hawkeye Impreza) have all been 'bad numbers' with gremlins.

Go figure :rolleyes:

Archived