Would you buy a red car?

I have a 52 plate red Punto. When i first got it, i was told that i'd have to clean and polish it regularly to keep the paint work in good condition. It was lovely and shiny with no patches when i first got it.

I take the car through a drive through car wash every now and again and i have NEVER polished it!! It's still just as lovely and shiny as the day i bought it!! (Well, the day my Dad bought it!!)

I have a 2004 Kia Sedona minivan. The color isa sort of greyish green , very attractive. It looks as good as the first day I bought it, and I never have to wash it, just wait for a good rain. I also have a little 2003 Huyndai Accent, in silver gray, which also looks good as new. I don't care what Jeremy Clarkson says about Korean cars as he overspeeds in somebody elses Ferrari, I love mine.

I don't know what the chemical formula is but it is a known fact that red paint on cars does deteriorate a bit faster, you only have to look at post office vans to see it, it is quite easy to bring the paint up with Tcut and wax to protect it.

I don't know what the chemical formula is but it is a known fact that red paint on cars does deteriorate a bit faster, you only have to look at post office vans to see it, it is quite easy to bring the paint up with Tcut and wax to protect it.
Perhaps that's the reason American post office vans are white. They also have the steering wheel on the right, so the driver can put letters in your mail box without leaving the van.

Metallic silver is the best colour for lasting good looks and doesn't show the dust and dirt.

I wouldn't bother buying black. The problem with white is that after time there is a dark discolouration that occurs and cannot be washed off with car soap. The only thing that will remove it and restore the colour to pristine white is a product called TR-3 Glaze which needs to be applied using a bit of elbow grease. It dries to a haze and can be buffed off leaving a nice wax shine.

My wife prefers black. She gets to clean the car. Mine is metallic silver and I have a pickup in dark green. No problems with the geen either after 6 years of hot sun and months of dry dusty weather

Metallic silver is the best colour for lasting good looks and doesn't show the dust and dirt.

I wouldn't bother buying black. The problem with white is that after time there is a dark discolouration that occurs and cannot be washed off with car soap. The only thing that will remove it and restore the colour to pristine white is a product called TR-3 Glaze which needs to be applied using a bit of elbow grease. It dries to a haze and can be buffed off leaving a nice wax shine.

My wife prefers black. She gets to clean the car. Mine is metallic silver and I have a pickup in dark green. No problems with the geen either after 6 years of hot sun and months of dry dusty weather

I wasn't asking about your personal life.

Solid reds and blacks will need fussy owners to keep them looking presentable, whereas metallics should be ok.

If you're the kind of person who is happy to spend hours maintaining a car's exterior and considers the wash to be the starting point and not the ending point (!) of the cleaning process it won't matter but if your idea of cleaning a car is spending a hour or less a week at the task, then better to get a more forgiving colour.

Archived