Would you buy a red car?

I have a mate, and I trust his opinion on cars (he's that sort of know it all). He said that he would never buy a red car, regardless of make or model. This isn't due to the pre-conceived ideas that it attracts attention from the police, but something about the sunlights reaction with red paint (and this ONLY works with red paint) according to him. Is this true, in today's day and age? Will a nice new red car deteriorate faster than other colours. Is this why we see boring coloured cars on trhe road these days? I'm asking because I'm looking, and I like red.

When you are in the car you are looking out and therefore the colour is immaterial.personally I miss the marigold and chocolate combination seen in the reruns of the Sweeney,and would happily pay£££s for a pea green Standard Vanguard or MGMagnet,

yes, solid post office red bleaches and gets dull. I've had 2 cars a mondeo and astra that have done this and seen other makes too. The first few years are ok, its after 5 years. I now drive a 10 year old metallic red car and that's ok, its the solid colours.

i would also never buy white - it seems to show yellowy rust much earlier than other cars do

someone who reckoned he used to work in the industry told me white paint had no body to it and the cars with defective panels go to be painted white as you don't see reflections in white paint. Similarly black cars ususally cost a bit more as an option because these have to have perfect body panels. I don't know if this is true or hearsay

yes, solid post office red bleaches and gets dull. I've had 2 cars a mondeo and astra that have done this and seen other makes too. The first few years are ok, its after 5 years. I now drive a 10 year old metallic red car and that's ok, its the solid colours.

i would also never buy white - it seems to show yellowy rust much earlier than other cars do

someone who reckoned he used to work in the industry told me white paint had no body to it and the cars with defective panels go to be painted white as you don't see reflections in white paint. Similarly black cars ususally cost a bit more as an option because these have to have perfect body panels. I don't know if this is true or hearsay

Im not sure about white but when ever I have sprayed a car in black it has never looked good and I have had a lot of work to do to get it looking good black seems to show every thing up and takes a hell of a lot of preparation to do.

Archived