How much is too much for a haircut and colour?

What are your opinions on paying £70 for haircut and colour? Is it worth paying £70 if the hairdresser is skilled at what they do and your happy with the results or is £70 unjustifable for the service you are paying for?

My cut and blow dry costs £17 and I colour my hair at home for £4.99 a time. For those of you who say a colour is done better in the salon, I did once have it coloured in the salon for which I paid a lot of money, and it didnt look any different to when I do it myself.I suppose if you want streaks or different colours in your hair then its best done by a professional, but I`m very happy with the way my hair is cut and with the colour I do myself, and I save a lot of money

It strikes me that women get a bit of a raw deal where hairdressing is concerned. Ok, compared to a fella it's a lot more work, and presumably takes time. As a bloke I go for cheap and cheerful, and it generally costs me about £4 for a cut. However I was out shopping a while ago, and just happened to need a cut, and passed a hair salon that was empty. Great I thought, no queuing. So in I went, and had the haircut, and the fella that did it, charged me £15...I was dumbstruck, and just paid up. I remember going 'on' about it for weeks after, how extortionate it was. But thinking about it, it's peanuts compared to how much women pay!

It strikes me that women get a bit of a raw deal where hairdressing is concerned. Ok, compared to a fella it's a lot more work, and presumably takes time. As a bloke I go for cheap and cheerful, and it generally costs me about £4 for a cut. However I was out shopping a while ago, and just happened to need a cut, and passed a hair salon that was empty. Great I thought, no queuing. So in I went, and had the haircut, and the fella that did it, charged me £15...I was dumbstruck, and just paid up. I remember going 'on' about it for weeks after, how extortionate it was. But thinking about it, it's peanuts compared to how much women pay!

£15 is about average for a salon, £4 about average for a barbers.

jb

I used to work in a Hair Salon. Well, it was actually a 'health farm' and had a hair dressers as part of it. I'd say it was quite posh (although i'm not posh myself).

We charged around £70 for a cut and colour. Nobody ever complained about that price and all seemed happy to pay it. I used to have my hair done there myself but only because it was free! I'd never have paid that much!!

So when i left, i stopped going there started using a little back street hair dressers. I got the exact same thing but for around £30. The lady who did it was qualified to the exact same standard as the staff that worked in the more expensive place.

My hairs very short, the thing that gets to me is if I wanted mine cutting, colouring, and blowing it would be the same price as someone with longer hair. When I used to go to a salon (I have it done at home now for £25) I was charged the same as everyone else...not fair!

I went to a very well-known salon for blonde streaks and they came out orange - not been since, yet I have seen black girls with beigey streaks - MelB has them too - but I think they thought my hair was too dark

Archived