Are you going to vote or spoil your paper?

Voting or spoiling  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Voting or spoiling

• I'm voting
    • I'm spoiling
    • I'm not bothering at all

We'd all much rather have a "None of the above" option on the paper but they won't give us that because they then might have to do something about it when "None of the above" won.

Such as what?

Various options. I favour that the MP is chosen at random from the electorate, but alternatively another election could be held with fresh candidates.

The vote is a precious thing, people died to get votes for everybody. You usually find that those who moan most about politicians are the ones who can't be bothered to vote. I am of an age when the year of lowering the age to 18 was introduced in the year I was 18 and I have voted in every election since

Why is my vote a precious thing when it doesn't change anything and as no impact on which party wins.

Anyone can go around acting like some sort of anarchistic cupcake but no political party in creation can live up to everyone's ideals. It makes more sense to support the party that opposes the party you most hate. Not voting only gives an extra vote to the hated party

Seems to me that spoiling a paper is making a statement that's a pointless waste of time. The ballot counters dont care and certainly not the politicians.

Those who do vote will have at least tried to get the government they voted for. Those who dont bother get the government they deserve and have no grounds to bitch and moan afterwards

Exactly- that's how it seems to you. To others, me included, it seems that spoiling a paper, or putting in a blank vote,is making a very useful statement; eg one of lack of faith in all the available candidates, or, lack of faith in the current political system.

As for politicians not caring, if, say, 30% of all voting slips were submitted as blank, I'm guessing they will quickily start to care.

With it being election day, we have a couple of threads where several people express dissatisfaction with all of the available options.

Some people think it would be a good idea to have the option to vote for None of The Above.

Quite what happens if NotA wins is a subject for discussion, it could be a fresh election, or the MP/Councillor could be randomly selected from the electorate, or whatever.

The vote is a precious thing, people died to get votes for everybody. You usually find that those who moan most about politicians are the ones who can't be bothered to vote. I am of an age when the year of lowering the age to 18 was introduced in the year I was 18 and I have voted in every election since

http://www.blankvote.org.uk/blank_votes_count.html

A way to 'not vote' which, as it requires attending the poll booth and submitting a (blank) slip, clearly can't carry the stigma of 'not being bothered'.

Why is my vote a precious thing when it doesn't change anything and as no impact on which party wins.

The ability to be able to vote is a precious thing if you want to be pedantic. If you don't vote you shouldn't complain about who gets in:hihi::hihi:

The ability to be able to vote is a precious thing if you want to be pedantic. If you don't vote you shouldn't complain about who gets in:hihi::hihi:

I don't, I just complain about what they do with the money I am forced to give them. :D

Archived