Invasion of the Cupcakes

Can't understand why people don't make their own its only takes half and hour to make a batch of cupcakes its not exactly difficult:)

I think because people don't know how, my 15yr old showed me.

200g Self Raising Flower

200g Caster Sugar

200g Butter

(and today 100g Cocoa Powder)

Mix all together so 'tis creamy

Split into 2 Butter Greased Baking Tins (Disked Bottoms)

Gas Mark 6 for 40 minutes

Fight over remains of mixing bowl

Butter Cream Filling

175g Icing Sugar

75g Butter

(and today 1tbl Cinnamon)

Fight over remains of mixing bowl

Topping

150g Icing Sugar

About 1tbl Warm Water

Topping Part II

Chocolate Sprinkly Things :D

You'd get about 60 cupcakes out of that lot :D is for a medium sized double layer sponge cake, chocolatey in essence, sparkly in topping :)

Timing is pretty essential too, depends on your type of oven. If you go over the time for your certain oven it will rise but then start to sink as it dries out.

Today I added cocoa powder, which I don't usually do, and should've cut the bake time by about 5 minutes as the mixture was a tad drier. Because of this the centre has dropped just a little causing a 'flat-top' effect rather than a nice dome. oh well.

You'd get about 60 cupcakes out of that lot :D is for a medium sized double layer sponge cake, chocolatey in essence, sparkly in topping :)

Timing is pretty essential too, depends on your type of oven. If you go over the time for your certain oven it will rise but then start to sink as it dries out.

Today I added cocoa powder, which I don't usually do, and should've cut the bake time by about 5 minutes as the mixture was a tad drier. Because of this the centre has dropped just a little causing a 'flat-top' effect rather than a nice dome. oh well.

Fantastic and it doesn't matter that it has dropped a bit just smother it in icing :D

When I was a child if ever we visited my Gran or Aunties there would always be a variety of home made cakes on offer, coffee cake being my favourite oh how I could just eat a slice of that now. In fact I'm going to make one for the weekend:hihi:

Is that for a plain cupcake, what about those pre-made cake mixes and ready made butter cream, I always think the home made stuff is far nicer.

You must make your own the pre made cake mixes etc are not the same at all :)

Years ago I made a batch of decorated cupcakes for a class of kindergarteners ,instead of a filling i inserted a little note (wrapped in foil) teacher passed them out telling them there was a special message for each one inside.....I wrote things like....good job, be happy,nice work, love you, ect ect, kids loved them

I hope you don't mind me saying but I don't think your oven was to blame. The cake mix measurements were fine but then you added 100g of cocoa powder but no extra egg or butter too compensate for the added dry ingredient. Next time try replacing some of the flour with cocoa or adding an extra egg.

Archived