Been ripped off by car dealer.

Something doesn't add up here.

We've just sold our car and in order to get a refund on unused months I had to return the disc.

I filled the form in on-line and printed it off and it clearly stated where (and even how) to attach the disc.

How long ago did you buy this car and how did the DVLA notify you of all of this?

We bought car from dealer with 6 months tax,we still have the disc.Letter came today from dvla informing us previous owners payment was declined,so it renders the disc void.

They were quick off the mark there then! Pity they don't issue refunds as fast!

I would definately stand your ground with the dealer. You have technically paid for 6 months tax in the price of the car therefore he owes you.

All the best anyhow.

You are probably right teenyweeny..............even more reason to stick in there.

I can't see how on earth the previous owner could do this...........or even why.

Unless the car dealer insisted on the previous owner paying for the tax and the previous owner doing so by cheque and then cancelling.

I can't see that happening though.

My bet is a cheque has been cancelled,whoever is at fault technically the dealers are responsible,i know they will try to wriggle out of it and will put the blame on previous owners..The reason why i think they are at fault is the fact when i worked in the motor trade i used to have to tax cars if they were sold and take a company cheque to do it, so im way ahead of them,but im sending hubby down there to the car dealers ready and prepped.and also why tax a car for 6 months and trade it in doesnt make sense does it.

I think my son got ripped off by Ford on Savile Street.

He bought a Focus off them 4weeks ago (£5 n half grand) 3 month warranty.

Last week he told me the engine sounded like a jet engine,and the steering became stiff when driving home.It also had a leak,but not oil.He took it back and the mechanic wanted £350! My son got him down to £300. I live in Scotland,which is a good job,because i would have been down that garage ranting.

I told my son i would try and get to the bottom of things,but he was just glad to get it repaired,because he commutes to Donny everyday,and needs his car.

I think they have takin him for a turnip robbing ****es..

I think my son got ripped off by Ford on Savile Street.

He bought a Focus off them 4weeks ago (£5 n half grand) 3 month warranty.

Last week he told me the engine sounded like a jet engine,and the steering became stiff when driving home.It also had a leak,but not oil.He took it back and the mechanic wanted £350! My son got him down to £300. I live in Scotland,which is a good job,because i would have been down that garage ranting.

I told my son i would try and get to the bottom of things,but he was just glad to get it repaired,because he commutes to Donny everyday,and needs his car.

I think they have takin him for a turnip robbing ****es..

Typically warranties arent worth the paper there written on,because whatever goes wrong is not mentioned in the policy,how convieniant..

My bet is a cheque has been cancelled,whoever is at fault technically the dealers are responsible,i know they will try to wriggle out of it and will put the blame on previous owners.

Don't worry about it, let them. Your response is "I didn't buy it off the previous owners, I bought it off you".

Just keep saying it each and every time they do.

Typically warranties arent worth the paper there written on,because whatever goes wrong is not mentioned in the policy,how convieniant..

I agree!

But there are other avenues he may take (finance company,sale of goods act etc:)

to try and get a refund.

That’s irrelevant, if I sold a broken computer to a computer shop and they sold it on as a working computer without first checking it, they would still be liable to put it right.

Please point out where I said the car dealer is not responsible for rectifying the situation.

jb

Archived