How do I help a friend of mine who i suspect may have some kind of bipolar?

His behaviour is becoming more erratic and unpredictable, he will be on high on life for so many days then be very depressive for so long, never no drug abuse or history of bipolar in his family as far as we know.

Obviously he doesn't see it himself and when we point out that this isn't normally how you've behaved in the past, he will be extremely touchy or laughs it off depending on what mood / high or low his state of minds in.

Can't persuade him to see a Doctor nor will he acknowledge that there maybe something wrong.

Have you spoken to his family do they have any concerns, if this is not an option you could always contact his GP and explain your concerns.

I think the action you take all depends on the risks to himself or others from his behaviour.

Good luck

His family are in Birmingham and unfortuantaely we don't know any of them, his behaviour is becoming risky and has no fear or sense of danger especially when he's manic, not sure about us been able to talk to his GP due to confidentialty or if he's even registered at a GP's surgery.

It might be an idea to ask to speak to your own doctor about your concerns for your friend, and see if the doctor can offer any advice on what (if anything) you can do about him. (If you did know, or could find out, who his own GP is I would suggest writing a letter to said GP detailing your concerns.)

If he is becoming erratic and unpredictable to the point of being possibly a danger to himself or to others, you should do so as a matter of some urgency; but if he is not, I'm not sure that there is anything anybody can do beyond trying to persuade him to seek help himself.

NHS direct may be the best route for you to take then if you can't contact his GP and just express your concerns, I would not worry about confidentiality because it’s you giving them the information.

It may be worth asking him if he's seen his GP about another potential health issue (pick anything that may apply from a hand tremble that you have seen ( ;) ) to a mole that you think may look a bit dodgy ( ;) ) and from that working out who his GP is, whether he's registered with anybody and then help him to register if he's not registered.

Once you know which GP he's with then it's completely accepted for someone to make an appointment with that GP to give the GP information about someone in their absence if you're concerned about them. You may have to go through the practice manager to do this and you will not be able to ASK the doctor anything about your friend's health, but if the appointment is for you to share information that you already have about your friend then this won't infringe any sort of data protection or privacy rules and I don't think I know any doctor who doesn't have the occasional appointment with a relative or friend of a patient which gathers information for them which is useful when dealing with a patient.

How the GP then goes about trying to get to see your friend is another matter, but this is definitely the gentlest way to go about getting your friend some medical attention, assuming of course that you don't feel that you have to go through the enforced route of getting him sectioned as an emergency matter for the protection of your friend and the people around him.

If you are concerned that he might be a danger to himself or others, you can contact your local A&E and ask to speak to a member of the crisis team - there should be someone available 24/7.

You could also contact your local branch of Mind, they will be able to give you professional advice and support.

The Samaritans are another source of help, also 24/7.

Good luck ...........

Archived