French election

He's pledged big increases in tax on the rich.

He's gone far with the 75% rate on sums above €1 million p.a, but I don't think that'll drive a mass exodus. It takes from the "super-rich" - whoever they are.

He's taken a dangerous step in moving the top-rate of income tax, but I still don't think that'll drive a mass migration either. We shall see, time will tell. The interesting part of this will be his relationship with Germany and Europe.

(As a friendly lesson in french, -isme words are masculine. Le fascisme, le communisme.)

He's gone far with the 75% rate on sums above €1 million p.a, but I don't think that'll drive a mass exodus. It takes from the "super-rich" - whoever they are.

He's taken a dangerous step in moving the top-rate of income tax, but I still don't think that'll drive a mass migration either. We shall see, time will tell. The interesting part of this will be his relationship with Germany and Europe.

(As a friendly lesson in french, -isme words are masculine. Le fascisme, le communisme.)

Every "super-rich" french person moving to the UK to avoid his 75% rate gives us a 45% cut of most of their income, very welcome funds in the current climate. The gap of 30% is huge so I think it will drive sucessful French people to seriously consider a move here, which can only be a good thing.

My French grammar is appalling I know, my parents live there so I get endless lectures on the sloppiness, appologies.

Every "super-rich" french person moving to the UK to avoid his 75% rate gives us a 45% cut of most of their income, very welcome funds in the current climate. The gap of 30% is huge so I think it will drive sucessful French people to seriously consider a move here, which can only be a good thing.

My French grammar is appalling I know, my parents live there so I get endless lectures on the sloppiness, appologies.

According to a French mep on 5live the super rich, onthe whole did a runner years ago, mainly to Belgium (less taxes and bizzarly had no government for year ) and Switzerland (no surprises there). I guess you can drive into France pretty easily from those countries. Perhaps they'll start taxing the "rather well off".

Interesting times ahead though.

Brit estate agents recently reported a ma-hoo-sive rise in enquiries from France. Read that in a US broadsheet Thursday. Unsurprising in the least. Tax avoidance is a national sport in France, has been for a looong time, makes similar efforts by UK rich & not-so-rich look really tame by comparison :D

Archived