Please Help Me With My Hair!

So, before i tell you my problem i just want to ask that you do not judge me, ive had very bad depression for about four years now and with this illness it makes even the simpliest of tasks seem daunting, hence me being in my current problem.

My illness has got a lot worse over the past 5 months, to the point where i wouldn't even get up out of bed for weeks and this has left my hair unrecognisable. There's a large section at the back that is compleatly matted to my head, i've tried combing (with and without conditioner) i've tried working it out with my fingers, i've tried picking at it with an afro comb and nothing seams to be working. I really dont want to get my hair cut because this would just bring me down again and ive only just started feeling more positive and, as i said before, it is basically stuck to my head so this would mean shaving it.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give, but please dont post nasty comments.

my hair is just below shoulder length and is not afro hair, just straight.

Please Help!!

i would recommend persevering with the trying to comb the "dreadlock" out, but what I would do is start at the very bottom end furthest from the head, and work it a tiny, tiny bit at a time. (It will take a while, though, be warned)

my granddaughter used to get terrible dreadlocks overnight, as her hair was so curly, and we had to do this for her.

Firstly.........well done on getting to this point.

Boots sell a brush called a tangle teaser....it is not cheap at about £10 but they do work. Do you have a friend or family member who could help by gently brushing / combing / untangling it for you as it must be very difficult to do thid on your own when you cant see what you are doing.

You can also buy no more tangles conditioners intended for children but I am not sure how good they are.

Have you thought about having a mobile hairdresser round? That way you don't have to sit in a room with other people. See if you can find some recommendations and you can speak to them first, make sure you are comfortable with it.

Other than that I'd go with plain talker's suggestion.

Well done on feeling more positive :).

Some people really need to grow up!! God help u if you ever have such an illness!!! Well done on asking for help, please ignore the stupid comments from the people who have no idea what its like to have depression, i have and its not nice!! If u cant get out to the haidresser i know a couple of friends that cud poss come to you, let me know, and good luck with everthing, xxx

Try washing as best you can then plastering with conditioner and, using your spread fingers, comb through starting at about an inch from the ends and gradually increase to 2 inches from the ends etc until you are upto your roots, then repeat using a wide toothed comb, repeat again using a narrower comb. Keep plastering with conditioner throughout. Even better if you have a friend to do it. Hope you manage to sort it.

I'd suggest doing all of the things with gentle teasing out from the ends, but I'd actually suggest getting a friend round to do it if you can, if only because someone else can see what is working on the back of your head when you can't.

I got very bad tangles when I got my gammy arm and it's really hard to sort out knots when you can't see what is causing the knot. The answer was a comfortable position on the floor in front of my sister who was on the sofa while we watched a film together in my living room. She just gently worked on my hair to get to the knots during the film and by the time the film finished I was all knot free :)

Maybe some argan oil left in overnight would help to soften it before you try to comb it.

A mobile hairdresser would be great if you feel up to it, she would sort it carefully and avoid as much damage as possible. :)

Archived