The Decline of Politics

Apologies,when quoting lacklustre i didn't make myself clear,i was talking of the politicians themselves.

By the way matey,the politics of the pub is sacrosanct,my mates and i can put the world to rights in a couple of hours, we do it regularly...........

The rise of private renting has created a new lower class in the UK.

This new lower class does not have a fixed address, they seldom have the time to settle into a location, into a community. They have barely moved in, before they move out. They don't have the time to register to vote. Their lives revolve around scraping together the money to pay the rent.

Sheffield was once called the 'biggest village'.

People came here and settled down, they were not forced to move and move again. People knew their neighbours.

Sheffield is now a slum. People constantly forced to move around the ghetto, they don't have the time to register to vote.

I don't agree. Lots of people who have lived in the same place for years won't have voted, although I did (out of habit) I know several who haven't this time. It had nothing to do with their housing tenure. More to do with the fact that they weren't impressed with any of the options offered.

My family lived in private rented housing in South Yorks for a couple of years in the early 70s. The young family across the road from my current home are renting privately and have been there 2+ years. Quite similar except they are probably better off in real terms than we were and they rent a nicer house. ;)

Sheffield generally is not a slum. Huge sums were spent on improving all the council owned properties in the city, I drove into Parson X today, and the council houses I passed look much improved, with hard standings, walls and railings. There are also signs of 'gentrification' around the area where I live. Things like 'Sold' signs; new windows and doors; skips outside; gardens being landscaped. :thumbsup:

Apologies,when quoting lacklustre i didn't make myself clear,i was talking of the politicians themselves.

By the way matey,the politics of the pub is sacrosanct,my mates and i can put the world to rights in a couple of hours, we do it regularly...........

Politicians are in the main lacklustre most of the time. Tumultuous times only bring forth great politicians/leaders...... example Churchill. Nobody would have remembered him if it hadnt been for the war.

We too have set the world to rights many a time but problem is it keeps getting all screwed up again.

What incentive do most have to vote when nearly all the parties that could form a government act almost the same despite promising this or that. In most cases even those that do vote do so because of tradition so don't really think much either. Sheffield is a prime example of that in action and the voters will generally vote the same party in regardless of its actions in the past.

As the old saying goes "pin a red rosette on a donkey in Yorkshire and they would vote it in."

Not sure which bunch is worse, those that don't vote or those that act like a robot and vote regardless of the political situation.

Have the common people ever known who is in power? It's mainly people with an IQ a little above average who bother to take an interest in such things.

They could however tell you in the blink of an eye how their favourite sports team is doing, when it's darts night at the local pub and whose doing who on the Soaps.

I find that quite insulting to be honest.

Your inference is that those that don't vote have a low IQ (which co-incidentally is no sign of academic intelligence).

It's a suggestion that has no foundation. If you have evidence, please could you post it. I'd suggest it to be nothing more than a sweeping generalisation.

Yours sincerely, a lawyer with a masters in law, but no interest in politics whatsoever. (I also have no interest in darts and wouldn't watch soaps if you paid me.)

Nobody can blame the national economy on any one government they are all to blame and have all been to blame going back through history, look at the world economic crises, not one person or one government, the monitory system has had built in flaws from the beginning of time and they only make things worse by trying to correct things using ways and means from the same system, that is it, failure is built in and that is a fact.

Also, isn't the whole point of an economy is to economise, to be thrift and strategic and plan ahead, always being conscious about your funds and trying to minimise waist. Except this capitalist monitory system is quite obviously an anti economy, it is built on waist and games and will continue to fuel failure by using methods that themselves have flaws built in, there is no way out of this nightmare and until people get off the grid and design and implement a new system without money and greed and wars, then we are all doomed as a species.

I find that quite insulting to be honest.

Your inference is that those that don't vote have a low IQ (which co-incidentally is no sign of academic intelligence).

It's a suggestion that has no foundation. If you have evidence, please could you post it. I'd suggest it to be nothing more than a sweeping generalisation.

Yours sincerely, a lawyer with a masters in law, but no interest in politics whatsoever. (I also have no interest in darts and wouldn't watch soaps if you paid me.)

My inference was that the common man in general doesnt know as much as he should about the way governments work and the problems politicians face.

The naivety of such people manifests itself in expecting some kind of miracle to be performed immediately in finding a cure for economies in a slump when anyone with half a brain knows that all economies are interwined globally and what happens in Tokyo can affect how things go in Huddersfield. The days are gone when individual nations completely controlled their own economies. We are all subject to the ebbs and flows of what happens globally. Spoiling votes only emphasizes the point I made in the first paragraph.

I couldn't care less if you vote or not. Political apathy is your every right but bear in mind that every vote lost only increases the majority of votes needed to win for the political party you disagree with most. If you're a lawyer that shouldnt sound too complicated to be understood.

My inference was that the common man in general doesnt know as much as he should about the way governments work and the problems politicians face.

The naivety of such people manifests itself in expecting some kind of miracle to be performed immediately in finding a cure for economies in a slump when anyone with half a brain knows that all economies are interwined globally and what happens in Tokyo can affect how things go in Huddersfield. The days are gone when individual nations completely controlled their own economies. We are all subject to the ebbs and flows of what happens globally. Spoiling votes only emphasizes the point I made in the first paragraph.

I couldn't care less if you vote or not. Political apathy is your every right but bear in mind that every vote lost only increases the majority of votes needed to win for the political party you disagree with most. If you're a lawyer that shouldnt sound too complicated to be understood.

Then you should have re-phrased your original point as your original post just made you sound as though you have some superiority complex due to your interest in politics.

"Have the common people ever known who is in power? It's mainly people with an IQ a little above average who bother to take an interest in such things."

Thus, if someone doesn't know who their local MP is, they are of limited IQ. The point is, that isn't necessarily correct. They may simply not care. Only people with low intelligence generalise. (No I'm not serious there but I can't bring myself to use that really irritating smiley thing).

Have the common people ever known who is in power? It's mainly people with an IQ a little above average who bother to take an interest in such things.

They could however tell you in the blink of an eye how their favourite sports team is doing, when it's darts night at the local pub and whose doing who on the Soaps.

Would they also be able to tutor others in generalising and stereotyping,and be totally patronising to others.

Then you should have re-phrased your original point as your original post just made you sound as though you have some superiority complex due to your interest in politics.

"Have the common people ever known who is in power? It's mainly people with an IQ a little above average who bother to take an interest in such things."

Thus, if someone doesn't know who their local MP is, they are of limited IQ. The point is, that isn't necessarily correct. They may simply not care. Only people with low intelligence generalise. (No I'm not serious there but I can't bring myself to use that really irritating smiley thing).

"no interest in politics whatsoever" yet you decided to post on a thread about politics.

Not very logical is it lawyer man? :D

Archived