Housing benefit

Can anyone tell me how much housing benefit someone at 20 years old can get if on £135 a week maternity benefit , my friend has been told by citizens advice she would get £53 a month towards rent of £475 a month and 38p relief on her council tax. This doesnt sound right.

Because she is under 25 she will have a lower' applicable amount' This is the amount the government says she needs to live on each week. This means she will have more left over that amount which in turn means she will have more rent and council tax to pay. Her applicable amount will change when she has her baby as her household will have changed. It will increase and she should get more help.

Has she had the baby?

The amount she has been told is probably right.

Does she live in private rented accomodation? That means anything that isn't from Sheffield homes.

HB works like this.

She has an applicable amount. In her case it will be for a a single person with no disabilities. (I assume) http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_200634

Look down the rates to find the applicable amount for a single person under 25 = £56.25

If she were getting JSA then thats the amount she would get each week but she would get full housing benefit and council tax benefit each week as well.

But you say she is getting £135 per week maternity. For every pound over £56.25 she gets she loses 65p of housing benefit and 35p of council tax benefit until we either reach the top part of her income or run out of benefit. Does that make sense?

It sounds bad but its not all bad news.

When baby is born her circumstances change.

Her applicable amount changes.

Instead of her being a single person under 25 = £56.25 her new applicable amount will be:-

She is single parent over 18 = £71

has a dependent child = £64.99

because you are now a family = £17.40

giving you a total of = £153.39

Which means that she might get all her rent paid and council tax depending on her child tax credits and other income

Does any of that help?

Can anyone tell me how much housing benefit someone at 20 years old can get if on £135 a week maternity benefit , my friend has been told by citizens advice she would get £53 a month towards rent of £475 a month and 38p relief on her council tax. This doesnt sound right.

Where is the father ?.

Archived