Traffic lights at roundabouts, do they work..

As the title says really, i have lost count of the times i have been sat at a roundabout on red and nothing is coming, whereas if they were not there i could just join the roundabout, it seems like they just cause more problems, or is it just me...

the ones in town set right back from the roundabout become pointless when rush hour gets underway

No, i mean lights actually on the roundabout, instead of just letting people use a roundabout as they were meant to be used....

I have been convinced for some time that the traffic lights on park square roundabout should only be on during rush hours and very busy times. When they have been off the roundabout is far more efficient at quiet times.

However as the roundabout is due to be scrapped soon anyhow it doesn't really matter.

As the title says really, i have lost count of the times i have been sat at a roundabout on red and nothing is coming, whereas if they were not there i could just join the roundabout, it seems like they just cause more problems, or is it just me...

In a word No, I travel from Inverness to Yorkshire often.

At the roundabout at Perth on the A9 they have installed Traffic Lights and caused chaos, then to the junction of the A66 off the M6 what a mess.

Then Scotch Corner to the A1 why? it is madness.

After over 40 years of driving and using roundabouts we now have Traffic Lights, what is the point it might as well be a normal junction.

There are 2 problems,

1 Pedestrian Crossings are situated at the roundabouts and when they show Green people think they have a clear path to enter the roundabout when it indicates you are clear to cross the crossing.

2 People have been taught that at a roundabout give way to traffic on your right.

So you come to a roundabout with a sign indcating that fact if you have traffic control it no longer becomes a roundabout as per the Highway Code.

In a word No, I travel from Inverness to Yorkshire often.

At the roundabout at Perth on the A9 they have installed Traffic Lights and caused chaos, then to the junction of the A66 off the M6 what a mess.

Then Scotch Corner to the A1 why? it is madness.

After over 40 years of driving and using roundabouts we now have Traffic Lights, what is the point it might as well be a normal junction.

There are 2 problems,

1 Pedestrian Crossings are situated at the roundabouts and when they show Green people think they have a clear path to enter the roundabout when it indicates you are clear to cross the crossing.

2 People have been taught that at a roundabout give way to traffic on your right.

So you come to a roundabout with a sign indcating that fact if you have traffic control it no longer becomes a roundabout as per the Highway Code.

From Highway code:

When reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

I have been convinced for some time that the traffic lights on park square roundabout should only be on during rush hours and very busy times. When they have been off the roundabout is far more efficient at quiet times.

However as the roundabout is due to be scrapped soon anyhow it doesn't really matter.

Same for Mushroom Roundabout. Never had to wait more than a few seconds till idiots installed the lights.

Archived