Mauled by TAME Cheeta! Is there really such a thing?

I'm sorry, but it's an accident waiting to happen.

Those cats are big natural killing machines and the fact that she is still alive without enormous puncture wounds to her throat or having been disembowelled by back claws says that they were playing, as do the images of the cats having lovely open body language.

The big problem is that cats play rough and we are pitifully underpowered and unarmed compared to virtually every predator, even a house cat or chihuahua.

How on earth anybody categorises a big predator like a cheetah as 'tame' and 'safe' when mixing with people that they don't know is beyond me. Sooner or later they were always going to not obey the humans first time and instead do their own thing, and this woman has got off incredibly lightly compared with what could have happened (even while they were still playing) so she should be looking back on her own behaviour and wondering how sensible it was to engage with a 'tame' predator with nothing between predator and 'toy'.

The same level of 'tameness' that is seen in domestic dogs is not present in cats, even in house cats who are happy to be in human presence. All you need to do to demonstrate this is to give medication to most cats, and you'll see that they have far better weaponry than dogs. They have sharp bits on 5 of the 6 ends, and they use them in play as much as in hunting, and I have plenty of scars from 'tame' house cats.

When they can behave like this towards their trainers?

No animal is ever tamed imo, taking it out of it's natural habitat and introducing it to humans can't be any good for it and sooner or later I would expect anything to turn, I've even witnessed a dog to turn on it's owner of 15yrs.

Of course I'm sorry this woman was injured and wish her a speedy recovery, nevertheless I have to confess that my first reaction on hearing this news was to laugh.

How foolish can people be?

How on earth anybody categorises a big predator like a cheetah as 'tame' and 'safe' when mixing with people that they don't know is beyond me. Sooner or later they were always going to not obey the humans first time and instead do their own thing, and this woman has got off incredibly lightly compared with what could have happened (even while they were still playing) so she should be looking back on her own behaviour and wondering how sensible it was to engage with a 'tame' predator with nothing between predator and 'toy'.

Whilst there are indeed no tame cheetahs, the report on the Beeb says she was trying to protect a girl who had been mauled. Going into the cage might have been daft, but I don't think anyone would criticize her too much for trying to protect a child.

When they can behave like this towards their trainers?

No animal is ever tamed imo, taking it out of it's natural habitat and introducing it to humans can't be any good for it and sooner or later I would expect anything to turn, I've even witnessed a dog to turn on it's owner of 15yrs.

Is it any wonder when they are kept in conditions like that? :(

Whilst there are indeed no tame cheetahs, the report on the Beeb says she was trying to protect a girl who had been mauled. Going into the cage might have been daft, but I don't think anyone would criticize her too much for trying to protect a child.

That's a valid point. (The OP may only have seen the headline.)

A cheetah that is petted and stroked by 2,000 people and only attacks one of them might reasonably be considered "tame" ... but I'm still not going anywhere near it.

They all went into the cage so they could have their photographs taken with the animals. She didn't go in "to protect" the girl.

The husband says they were told that the Cheetahs had been hand reared, which would suggest they had become normalised and "tame" but as Medusa points out their weaponry is such that even "playing" can result in serious damage to puny humans with their soft, un-fur covered, un-muscular necks.

Archived