Portable Appliance Testing (P. A. T.) megathread

I believe you can do the course in a day or two at some places, which pays for itself if you will have repeat inspections.

Yes you can do the course in a short time,

BUT

a PAT Tester is NOT cheap at all so would take a fair time to even pay for its self

If its just a house then you probably wont have many items that need looking at as most items, although have plugs on them, dont necessarily come under much wear and tear.

To stay on top of things it would be just as good to do the day course as suggested so you know what its all about.

I'm not sure why you should have to have things tested anyway. If the house is rented furnished, I would have thought that if there are appliances included, then surely they should be the landlords responsibility if they need testing.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

If it is only a few item, you can buy a 'self tester'. This is a unit that will allow you to plug the item under test in to it and then you get a simple 'pass' or 'fail' reading. This sounds as if it would suit your needs.

I looked in to this when asked to undertake the PAT testing in my office at work.

They are not cheap - around £70 iirc, but of course you can use again the following year......and so on.

ATB

Hi,

If it is only a few item, you can buy a 'self tester'. This is a unit that will allow you to plug the item under test in to it and then you get a simple 'pass' or 'fail' reading. This sounds as if it would suit your needs.

I looked in to this when asked to undertake the PAT testing in my office at work.

They are not cheap - around £70 iirc, but of course you can use again the following year......and so on.

ATB

I wonder if the test equipment itself will need its own regular PAT test ?

Archived