Portable Appliance Testing (P. A. T.) megathread

i was made to believe this was compulsory every 12 months, looks like i may have been mis led although we make our own checks i thought we needed it be be offically done and a sticker put on every item,

i was made to believe this was compulsory every 12 months, looks like i may have been mis led although we make our own checks i thought we needed it be be offically done and a sticker put on every item,

Depends on the premises really, insurance companies, as does the HSE, require responsible steps to ensure that your electrical appliances are as as safe as possible. Staff members are required to do a visual inspection regularly on the appliances they use.....it doesn't happen in practice and if it did there unlikely to be a record of any faults

Depends on the premises really, insurance companies, as does the HSE, require responsible steps to ensure that your electrical appliances are as as safe as possible. Staff members are required to do a visual inspection regularly on the appliances they use.....it doesn't happen in practice and if it did there unlikely to be a record of any faults

Can I just check something, is it right that 110v power tools and equipment used on mainly industrial sites have to be PAT tested every 6 months, this is something that recently came up on my SSSTS course but I thought it was every 12 months.

Not according to this they don't

http://www.wokinghamu3a.org.uk/risk_Electical_testing.pdf

The link you provided is from a PAT testing company of course there going to say they need testing.

Also from the HSE pdf guide -

Double insulated equipment

Class II equipment is sometimes referred to as ‘double insulated’ equipment. This means that there is extra insulation within the construction of the equipment to prevent accidental contact with live parts, even if there is a fault.

Class II equipment does not need an earth connection to maintain safety. It will not need a portable appliance test, although you should ensure that user checks and visual inspections are carried out as the integrity of the equipment casing is a key safety feature.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.pdf

Archived