Nightclub wanted to scan finger print

It sounds like a good idea just a bit scary if hacked, passed to police to help them with their enquiries etc

I belive there are school lunches dished out using this tech in Sheffield already.

I don't know why but I would trust an offy with this more than a night club.

They're a totally different system to the ones used by the police but even if they were not then surely it would only be an issue if you had a warrant out for your arrest?

It sounds like a good idea just a bit scary if hacked, passed to police to help them with their enquiries etc

I belive there are school lunches dished out using this tech in Sheffield already.

I don't know why but I would trust an offy with this more than a night club.

Most of these systems don't actually store your fingerprint - they store a number which is generated based on your fingerprint. What this means is that even if the machine was hacked, you couldn't recreate the fingerprint from the number and the only place you could use that number is in the same machines (and possibly even only the same machine).

We had gathered that but we still felt uncomfortable in this day and age of scams and ID theft ect doing this.

How many scams and ID thefts have there been from fingerprint scans?

While it is unusual for a club to be using this technology, its getting commonplace everywhere else and is a useful way of fast tracking people through queues. Most secondary schools have it for lunches or are implementing it.

Archived