Sheffield Tram £10 Fine

So i was thinking and i wondered what other people thought of the £10 fine you could get on the tram.

It runs like this if your on the tram and the ticket conductor gets on and you havent got a ticket you could be fined an instant £10 it doesnt matter if the ticket seller hasn't been to you yet its at the discretion of the conductor wether you have had a reasonable amount of time to get your ticket .

To me its geniunely scandalous i mean yes you should always buy a ticket but anyone who uses the tram will know at times you can not move its absolutely packed full so to be charged £10 because you couldnt get to the instructor is robbery in my eyes.

I do not and will not ever say getting on a tram and not paying is ok because it isnt thats theft and thats illegal and shouldnt happen.

To me i just think if im ever unlucky enough to be in that situation they will have a battle getting me to pay because it is just robbery.

Back when I used to pay 40p fares on my mobility pass, a conductor once let me off paying in Town, the Tram was full so by the time they got to me it was my stop and I was getting off, they charged my carer full fare and let me off for the 40p.

Surely if the tram is packed, and the conductor can't get through to sell tickets, he's not going to tell an inspector who subsequently boards that everyone has had sufficent time to buy a ticket? And even if they did, you would almost certainly be successful in an appeal after Supertram reviewed the CCTV footage showing the tram was rammed.

I've always liked the way Sheffield operated the trams with a conductor selling tickets. In Manchester you have to purchase a ticket from a machine before getting on the tram. There are no conductors but there are frequent spot checks by teams of inspectors. If you are unlucky enough to find yourself running for a tram, you may then find yourself deliberating whether to purchase a ticket and be forced to wait for the next tram or to board the tram and risk being fined if the inspectors catch you without a ticket.In fact, I know regular Metrolink users who never buy tickets and run the risk of being fined. They consider it more economical to be fined occassionaly rather than pay for tram tickets

I believe that if you are on a busy tram in Sheffield then it is up to you to make a reasonable effort to attract the attention of the conductor in order to pay. You can always pass your money to the conductor via one of your fellow passengers if the conductor cannot reach you.

I've always liked the way Sheffield operated the trams with a conductor selling tickets. In Manchester you have to purchase a ticket from a machine before getting on the tram. There are no conductors but there are frequent spot checks by teams of inspectors.

That used to the system when the Sheffield tram first started but they soon cottoned on to the fact that it was putting people off using the tram. People don't like using machines and would much rather speak to a person. New things and new machines can be scary, but a conductor is a person. They can explain things, sell the correct ticket, talk to you etc.

I've always liked the way Sheffield operated the trams with a conductor selling tickets. In Manchester you have to purchase a ticket from a machine before getting on the tram. There are no conductors but there are frequent spot checks by teams of inspectors. If you are unlucky enough to find yourself running for a tram, you may then find yourself deliberating whether to purchase a ticket and be forced to wait for the next tram or to board the tram and risk being fined if the inspectors catch you without a ticket.In fact, I know regular Metrolink users who never buy tickets and run the risk of being fined. They consider it more economical to be fined occassionaly rather than pay for tram tickets

I believe that if you are on a busy tram in Sheffield then it is up to you to make a reasonable effort to attract the attention of the conductor in order to pay. You can always pass your money to the conductor via one of your fellow passengers if the conductor cannot reach you.

(my bold)

hahahahaha...

I'm sure folk would give their money to a complete stranger " 'ere, mate, give this money to the conductor when he reaches you, will you? I've got to get off at this stop!"

(my bold)

hahahahaha...

I'm sure folk would give their money to a complete stranger " 'ere, mate, give this money to the conductor when he reaches you, will you? I've got to get off at this stop!"

I'm sure you know that's not what I mean and you have just put your own slant on it. Give your head a wobble.

I am suggesting that if the conductor cannot reach the passenger on a congested tram then the money can be passed along via other passengers. I have seen this work on public transport in Turkey.

Archived