Sheffield Tram £10 Fine

I'm sure you know that's not what I mean and you have just put your own slant on it. Give your head a wobble.

I am suggesting that if the conductor cannot reach the passenger on a congested tram then the money can be passed along via other passengers. I have seen this work on public transport in Turkey.

Yes it works in Turkey as the Dolmus is usually a mini bus a bit larger than a transit, not a tram with 3 or 4 fifty foot long carriages.

Yes it works in Turkey as the Dolmus is usually a mini bus a bit larger than a transit, not a tram with 3 or 4 fifty foot long carriages.

But the conductor collecting cash is free to move around and get as close as possible to passengers.

The point I am making is that nobody can really use the excuse of the tram being busy to avoid paying their fare for the journey. I think it is quite fair of Supertram to expect the passenger to make a reasonable effort to purchase their ticket from the conductor. I think these fines are an effort to prevent the opportunists from using a busy tram to shy away from the conductor while he is doing his rounds thus not paying the fare.

That used to the system when the Sheffield tram first started but they soon cottoned on to the fact that it was putting people off using the tram. People don't like using machines and would much rather speak to a person. New things and new machines can be scary, but a conductor is a person. They can explain things, sell the correct ticket, talk to you etc.

I thought it was more down to the fact that lowlifes kept vandalising the ticket machines that they discontinued this.

I like your name it suits you well you goon :hihi:

What is defined as a reasonable effort when the tram is packed though bargin through people pushing people over etc i agree with you should make a reasonable effort but where does that end?

I saw a young couple get on the other day when it was geniunely rammed you couldnt move at all the tram conductor got on at centertainment where most people got off and charged them £10 because they hadnt managed to get a ticket how can you justify that? :loopy:

I've always liked the way Sheffield operated the trams with a conductor selling tickets. In Manchester you have to purchase a ticket from a machine before getting on the tram. There are no conductors but there are frequent spot checks by teams of inspectors. If you are unlucky enough to find yourself running for a tram, you may then find yourself deliberating whether to purchase a ticket and be forced to wait for the next tram or to board the tram and risk being fined if the inspectors catch you without a ticket.In fact, I know regular Metrolink users who never buy tickets and run the risk of being fined. They consider it more economical to be fined occassionaly rather than pay for tram tickets

I believe that if you are on a busy tram in Sheffield then it is up to you to make a reasonable effort to attract the attention of the conductor in order to pay. You can always pass your money to the conductor via one of your fellow passengers if the conductor cannot reach you.

What is defined as a reasonable effort when the tram is packed though bargin through people pushing people over etc i agree with you should make a reasonable effort but where does that end?

I saw a young couple get on the other day when it was geniunely rammed you couldnt move at all the tram conductor got on at centertainment where most people got off and charged them £10 because they hadnt managed to get a ticket how can you justify that? :loopy:

Did they pay?

If they did, that was their choice. Why are you moaning?

Grow up

Did this really happen? Did everybody else on the tram manage to pay their fare despite the tram being busy?

As far as a reasonable effort to pay, well I'm sure at the very least they could somehow manage to attract the attention of the conductor so he knows when you got on the tram. At least that way the conductor can inform the inspectors that the passenger wasn't shying away.

But the conductor collecting cash is free to move around and get as close as possible to passengers.

The point I am making is that nobody can really use the excuse of the tram being busy to avoid paying their fare for the journey.

Yeah, they can.

Can you imagine trying to pass £3.70 down through multiple carriages and expecting to get your day rider back. Not going to happen is it.

I think it is quite fair of Supertram to expect the passenger to make a reasonable effort to purchase their ticket from the conductor.

Reasonable effort involves giving him the money when he comes past.

I think these fines are an effort to prevent the opportunists from using a busy tram to shy away from the conductor while he is doing his rounds thus not paying the fare.

Well that's different, but a busy tram that the conductor can get up and down is very different to one totally rammed.

They will use that rule to genuinely get people trying to get a freebie.

Not to harass people that are in a packed tram unable to buy a ticket.

They can tell with experience whom are the honest ones and whom starts crying oh oh oh I could not get to you to get ticket bozo's pretending to be the victem.

I never show my ticket on tram. Only one in 10 times do they ask me to show and tram is not always packed to the point that you cannot buy a ticket.

That rule is not there to harass, the collector is not out there to harass people, he/she does their job not like a third world country. Only people crying their £10 is gone will be real criminals trying to get a freebie but got caught.

Archived