Question about road kill.

I would never pick up and eat road kill that I had not killed personally or at least seen killed.

It's actually illegal to collect roadkill that you've killed yourself - I have always assumed that this law is intended to deter people from deliberately killing wild animals with the intention of carting them off for dinner.

G a head, eat all you want, be my gaet

Oh dear. Is there something the matter? You seem to have lost the ability to speak in full sentences as well as your reason.

No evidence that eating bruised meat will kill you? Quelle surprise!

Why would you want to eat something like that I can understand catching fish and things like that, but to eat some thing that is dead on the side of the road in the summer fly's or on things like that instantly:gag:, I know Tesco's meat is not that good but I think I would have to be desperate to eat road kill probably starving to be honest.

How long before this becomes unfit for human consumption, hours, days?

Anything longer than a couple of hours and the flies etc will start moving in. Having said that if you can stomach that though, proper cooking will sort out any foreign bodies.

It's actually illegal to collect roadkill that you've killed yourself - I have always assumed that this law is intended to deter people from deliberately killing wild animals with the intention of carting them off for dinner.

Technicaly correct, but Angel does'nt leave FRESH venison on the road side, and that's the truth of it.

Gralloched by the roadside in 2 mins flat, then on the back of the truck. Waste not want not that's me.

Angel.

Anything longer than a couple of hours and the flies etc will start moving in. Having said that if you can stomach that though, proper cooking will sort out any foreign bodies.

Depends on the temperature, in the "old" days, (some still do it) - Phesy was hung till the maggots fell from them, then they were considered ready to cook. Must admit I have never knowingly eaten birds that old, just a bit ott IMHO. 2/3 days long enough for me.

Don't forget good Beef is hung in a chiller for 28 days before it's scoffed.

Angel.

The general rule is if it's still there, it's pretty fresh!

Eeeoouuww.

It could have been there any time since the last visit from the road sweeper. In some places that could be months.

I think the law is more worried about sheep.

Can the typical fly get past the skin?

I recall one of Hugh Fearnleigh-Whittingstall's programmes in which he discussed road-kill. He recommended the sniff test: if it smells bad, it is probably bad.

There is a very well matured hedgehog on Herries Road. It's been there a week to my knowledge. It's a little flat now but it'd be lovely Pan-fried with rocket :D

Herries Road, and it's been there a week?

I can't believe that!

Archived