Proposed new law - drug driving.

It's hardly unreasonable to ask people to get their driving done for the day before hitting the mind altering recreational drugs, be it booze or weed.

I agree. But if a drug makes you a safer driver... Or at least appears to, from the statistical evidence.

What then?

And what about me.

I failed my test sober, and then took another when stoned, which I passed.

Am I really safe to be driving about sober?

So how will the tests for drug driving be carried out?

With drink its all about one thing, alcohol, which can be measured fairly accurately. With drugs there are many kinds and each works differently, so like alcohol some form of top limit will be needed. Unless they can come up with a quick way to detect and analyse I doubt this will get the go ahead.

There will need to be some benchmark to compare to for the police to accurately claim that someone's driving ability is impaired.

http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com/uncategorized/reasons-why-marijuana-users-are-safe-drivers/

A lot of studies have actually shown cannabis users to be safer drivers than sober people!

The study you quoted appears to be saying that potheads are better drivers than drunks, that I don't doubt but I do doubt that smoking a few reefers improves your driving skills.

Straight is the only way a person should be driving IMO.

I agree. But if a drug makes you a safer driver... Or at least appears to, from the statistical evidence.

What then?

And what about me.

The drug as a negative effect on your driving but you compensate by driving slower, because you know your response time, perception skill and psychomotor skills are impaired. Alcohol as the same effect but you are unlikely to compensate by lowering your speed.

What then?

And what about me.

A driving test is an exam, you're not only focusing on driving the car you are focusing on doing so in an exageratedly "10 to 2", "mirror signal manouver" etc manner to pass the test. In your case nerves may have been a factor on the first go and a small smoke may have overcome those nerves. It would not follow that being stoned makes you a better driver.

If I have a pint of beer (and it's never more than one) on my way home I'm probably a more alert driver because I'm concious of the affect that even a small ammount of booze has on reaction times and thus am much more focused, we do tend to drive around on autopilot a lot, so it may be that a slight impairment is compensated for by increased focus on the job at hand. However on the rare occaisions i partake of a toot (and its once every few months if that) it takes me half an hour to make a coffee let alone dream of trying to drive. If you're a regular user then it will obviously affect you differently as you will have tollerance to it, but given the disparity between different strains in terms of strength and the difficulty in accurately measuing how much you have had it would be very difficult to establish a safe amount for you to have taken before driving surely?

It’s not my speculation its scientific facts on how the drug affects the brain.

You did post scientific facts. I wasn't calling them speculation. I was calling your speculation about them speculation.

What did I speculate?

Quoting a limited selection of the potential effects of marijuana, you implied people under its influence can not possibly drive better than when they are not. I believe that was your drift.

It's hardly unreasonable to ask people to get their driving done for the day before hitting the mind altering recreational drugs, be it booze or weed.

Exactly.

There is no way I'd be safe to drive stoned, just the thought of getting behind a wheel in that state is a bit scary imo, no way. Stoned I can't remember what happened 2 seconds ago let alone pay proper attention to the road.

Archived