Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

16 hours ago, beezerboy said:

My wife was born and lived near Sutcliffes shop Ruthin St less than 100 yds away. Nobody ever said where the name came from .

A forum contributor ( Lazarus ) research this and found no evidence that this was so. However he say a pub called Why Not on Clun St  (near Gower St )was named after 1894 National Grand winner. Maybe the story got transferred.

Yes, I've heard the 'Why Not' pub story before, the pub was actually on the corner of Earsham Street and Clun Street and I think it was demolished around the 1920s.

23 hours ago, beezerboy said:

My wife was born and lived near Sutcliffes shop Ruthin St less than 100 yds away. Nobody ever said where the name came from .

A forum contributor ( Lazarus ) research this and found no evidence that this was so. However he say a pub called Why Not on Clun St  (near Gower St )was named after 1894 National Grand winner. Maybe the story got transferred.

Sporting News
Date: Friday,  Oct. 26, 1883
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph (Sheffield, England)
Rossmore Welter Plate -100 guineas
Mr T stevens-- Who Can Tell.

5 hours ago, retep said:

Sporting News
Date: Friday,  Oct. 26, 1883
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph (Sheffield, England)
Rossmore Welter Plate -100 guineas
Mr T stevens-- Who Can Tell.

Well done, so now we know.

On 11/11/2020 at 23:38, glitterballs said:

Glad I saw this thread, I was trying to think of the pub on Alexandra rd, the Myrtle, when I stopped at my grans who lived opposite it was entertaining on a Friday and Saturday at closing 🤣

I used to live on Alexandra Road until I married in 1970, the Myrtle was my family's local.

Eric and Ellen Staniforth were landlord and landlady with their children, 3 girls if I remember correctly.

As a child I spent many happy hours in the back room with their children whilst the adults were in the pub.

We attended the Coronation celebrations there in 1953 where there was a big party for the kids in the upstairs room.

The family adults  usually spent New Years Eve there whilst us kids were looked after at home then the adults would arrive in time for the letting in of the New Year.

They came home carrying crates of beer between them, pop and crisps for the kids and we all had heaps of sandwiches, homemade pickles etc. whilst the party including neighbours continued until the early hours.

My uncle arranged a charity "do" there in the upstairs rooms where there was a stage, lots of musical acts and a sort of pantomime, this was in the 50's. 

There was never any trouble, bad language or ill feeling in all the years I lived there from late 40's to 1970.

Regards,

Duffems

• 2 weeks later...