Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

Reading some of these posts about the pubs long gone made me think back to when I was in my teens in the 1960's. I used to frequent the wicker quite often in those days and I remember that in the Wicker alone there were 7 pubs and one fast food shop (Tony's chip shop I think) These days there is one pub and countless take away shops.

The pubs were, The station, The Viaduct, Brown cow, White Lion , The new White Lion, The Big Gun and another which name escapes me, it was situated next to the Brown Cow roughly where Derek Dooley Way cuts through the Wicker. Then there were a couple of pubs on Nursery Street and a couple on Lady's Bridge.

On a nice warm summers evening people would stroll from pub to pub and if you had a half pint in each pub you would be well on your way to being drunk by closing time.

Happy days as they say.

2 hours ago, lakerman said:

Reading some of these posts about the pubs long gone made me think back to when I was in my teens in the 1960's. I used to frequent the wicker quite often in those days and I remember that in the Wicker alone there were 7 pubs and one fast food shop (Tony's chip shop I think) These days there is one pub and countless take away shops.

The pubs were, The station, The Viaduct, Brown cow, White Lion , The new White Lion, The Big Gun and another which name escapes me, it was situated next to the Brown Cow roughly where Derek Dooley Way cuts through the Wicker. Then there were a couple of pubs on Nursery Street and a couple on Lady's Bridge.

On a nice warm summers evening people would stroll from pub to pub and if you had a half pint in each pub you would be well on your way to being drunk by closing time.

Happy days as they say.

The missing name is the Bull and Oak. Where was the White Lion? I only remember the New White Lion. There was the Lion just around the corner on Nursery St where the Riverside Court is now but that was before my boozing days.

12 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

The missing name is the Bull and Oak. Where was the White Lion? I only remember the New White Lion. There was the Lion just around the corner on Nursery St where the Riverside Court is now but that was before my boozing days.

Yes the Lion hotel was on the Nursery Street corner so counted as a Wicker area pub, also on Nursery Street were the Hare and Hounds and Manchester Hotel (now New Harlequin) and just off the Wicker were The (old) Harlequin (Stanley Street/Johnson Street) and there was of course the Stanley Street WMC.

20 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes the Lion hotel was on the Nursery Street corner so counted as a Wicker area pub, also on Nursery Street were the Hare and Hounds and Manchester Hotel (now New Harlequin) and just off the Wicker were The (old) Harlequin (Stanley Street/Johnson Street) and there was of course the Stanley Street WMC.

Wasn`t the Grosvenor Hotel next to the Lion on the corner of Nursery street?