Broomhall's past

I'm trying to piece together what was Broomhall of the past, I have over recent weeks been told of a few parts that have changed so much in the last 40-50 years that I had no idea were ever there and there is absolutely no trace left.

Such as alongside the dual carriageway near where the park is and the hanover pub used to be a foundry, the dual carriageway was just a single road and between the park and the foundry was the main road running through the area. Also where the newish houses are behind the hanover, jesus centre etc used to be market gardens. Also apparently Broomhall was one of the most affluent areas of Sheffield?

Is there any photos, paintings etc of the early days of Broomhall?

Have you looked in one of those books they sell in the Millennium Galleries? They contain old pictures by postcode, so I presume you'll be after the S10 one. They're fascinating...I've never actually bought one, but I often flick though them when on my lunch hour.

Have you looked in one of those books they sell in the Millennium Galleries? They contain old pictures by postcode, so I presume you'll be after the S10 one. They're fascinating...I've never actually bought one, but I often flick though them when on my lunch hour.

Tbh I wasn't aware they existed, Quite a tricky one with postcoding as where I live on the edge of Hanover way is S3 where as the other side of William Street is S10.

Thanks though, might have to have a gander.

I'm trying to piece together what was Broomhall of the past, I have over recent weeks been told of a few parts that have changed so much in the last 40-50 years that I had no idea were ever there and there is absolutely no trace left.

Such as alongside the dual carriageway near where the park is and the hanover pub used to be a foundry, the dual carriageway was just a single road and between the park and the foundry was the main road running through the area. Also where the newish houses are behind the hanover, jesus centre etc used to be market gardens. Also apparently Broomhall was one of the most affluent areas of Sheffield?

Is there any photos, paintings etc of the early days of Broomhall?

Try picturesheffield website.

I used to live on Broomhall Street in the 60's before it was cleared.

Some very good images available.

Archived