Does being a single mum put men off??

It's definitely a no goer for me, if I wanted to have children I'd want them to be mine.

Children make life complicated, especially if there's a weekend dad on the scene.

I agree with that. I wouldnt go for a man with kids. Done it once before and long term, just too complicated. I cant be doing with the ties- in the future I want my own family- thats a bit old fashioned- a mum, dad and kids.. no extras from anywhere else.

Each to their own, depends what you want out of life.

Not at all. Everyone has a past. I once dated a girl who had a child and it really didn't bother me. If me and my wife ever split up and I put myself back on the market, I wouldn't want women to be put off by the fact that I have a son.

Hi , No i dont think it does put men off seeing a single mum as long as your open and honest from the start, Men dont tend to like suprises in small packages , ive been with my single mum for 10 years and married her 3 years ago , best thing that ever happened to me , good luck.

Did it take you seven years to decide then to commit fully. ?.

Hi everyone...just wondering if men are put off going on date or starting a relationship with someone who is a single mum. Be honest :)

Some will be, so it limits the size of the pool of men to an extent. Very few men will actively seek a woman with a child after all. I've dated a couple of women with children (older..12+) and the main problem was there was no opportunity for spontaneity in the relationship as childminders had to be booked etc. In short..they got in the way a bit.

I think it depends.

I have to say its me that more cautious tbh. I have been separated from my hubster for nearly 10 years and have had 3 serious relationships in that time and only one every got to meet my children - I would never introduce them straight away - it was 6 months that he got to meet them.

I think that it mostly depends on what age a man is and what stage in life he is at. Most young men (I mean late teens-twenties) would probably run a mile from a young woman with a kid/kids as it is totally out of their sphere of reference, requires a degree of maturity as well as a certain amount of planning.

Once men start hitting their 30s and beyond, their chances of meeting a single woman without children tend to diminish somewhat so most people (of both sexes), unless they were particularly anti-kids, would broaden their options and be more open to the possibility. I think that a lot also depends on whether or not the man himself has children.

Blended families, in my experience, or rather the experiences of my friends who grew up in one and/or are part of one, are quite complex and these situations need to be managed sensitively.

I met my now wife when I was twenty ,she was twenty one after the initial suprise when she told me she had a two year old daughter I decided to get on with it ,that was twenty years ago and it never stopped me doing anything and I certainly wouldn't have changed a thing.

Archived