Hyundai good or bad

The mrs has an IX20.. at first glance, it's a nice little car both internally and externally.. on the face of it as good as anything from the likes of any of the more 'established' manufacturers, with some nice little thought out bits and bobs for good measure. It's also a really comfortable drive.. apparently the suspension has been heavily tuned on the UK models to deal with our lovely roads; and yeah it dampens out the pot holes and ruts nicely.

However, her car is a 1.6 Auto, and I have to say it's the most abysmal auto transmission I've ever had the misfortune to drive and the engine is gutless in the extreme.. yet despite all this it guzzles petrol aplenty.. lucky to get 30mpg mixed driving...

While they have come along in leaps and bounds in the style and quality appearance stakes since earlier models, a lot of it is 'window dressing'.. stuff you can easily see looks the part, but look a little closer.. poke around and you start to see the corners that have been roundly cut.

I forgot to add that the i10 and the Kia Picanto share the same platform (If you did not already know that).

The 1.25 Kia costs £1000 more but offers a better drive with more power, ESC and bluetooth as standard.

You pays your money and takes your choice.....................

I passed my test in 96, bought a second hand Fiesta. It broke down twice in a year.

In '99 I bought my first Accent brand new. Did 96000 miles. Never broke down.

In '03 I bought my second Accent brand new. Did 128000. Never broke down. Just leaked a bit of oil in it's last few weeks.

In '06 I Bought my Getz brand new. It is parked outside. It has done 129000 miles and this year will be going to Cornwall, Pembrokeshire and the Scottish Highlands twice. It has never broke down.

I once took my first Accent out to a works conference in Harrogate. It was carrying four adults and I tried holding it on the clutch at some lights on a hill near Guiseley. Ten minutes later I lost power, and pulled over to call the RAC. (I had overheated the clutch but I didn't know). when the RAC man turned up he jumped from his van, looked across at the car and said

"You must have done something to it"

"Why? What did I do?"

"Because these cars do not break down"

Buy the i10. It could be the last car you have to buy!

I've got an I10. Love it. Did have a battery issue when it was brand new but steads put me a brand new one in under the warranty & the car has never let me down since. I get brilliant mpg on city driving its when you do a motorway journey (over 60mph) it swallows.

I went for the es model because I wanted the extras you get with that model

HOWEVER if given the choice again I wouldnt because the engine in the es model is a 1.1 and I just don't believe its as well tweaked as the standard 1.2 model (if you get what I mean)

But yes you can't beat a 5 year warranty and £35 road tax not to mention the ease of squashing it into these tiny little supermarket parking spaces.

*and I get a buggy and a couple of shopping bags in the boot but it is on the small side*

Fuel Efficiency and Performance does not go hand in hand. If you want Performance, go for i10. If Fuel Efficiency is important, then Wagon R can also considered. Even for maintenance and resale value, none of these cars can beat Wagon R but it is needed that you have to decide your priorities best. But I won't recommend Wagon R as it's drive quality and stability on highways is questionable. Even the interiors are no so great. Better to go for i10 considering all factors. It's a proven car and you won't regret it.

You drive a renault and you want to offer motoring advice:hihi:

The mrs has an IX20.. at first glance, it's a nice little car both internally and externally.. on the face of it as good as anything from the likes of any of the more 'established' manufacturers, with some nice little thought out bits and bobs for good measure. It's also a really comfortable drive.. apparently the suspension has been heavily tuned on the UK models to deal with our lovely roads; and yeah it dampens out the pot holes and ruts nicely.

However, her car is a 1.6 Auto, and I have to say it's the most abysmal auto transmission I've ever had the misfortune to drive and the engine is gutless in the extreme.. yet despite all this it guzzles petrol aplenty.. lucky to get 30mpg mixed driving...

While they have come along in leaps and bounds in the style and quality appearance stakes since earlier models, a lot of it is 'window dressing'.. stuff you can easily see looks the part, but look a little closer.. poke around and you start to see the corners that have been roundly cut.

If you want to experience a very smooth auto, try a Honda Jazz, its 7 gears are seamless.(even J. Clarkson liked this one)

If you want to experience a very smooth auto, try a Honda Jazz, its 7 gears are seamless.(even J. Clarkson liked this one)

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of buying the Jazz Auto, second hand. IIRC, the old jazz had their CVT gearbox, with 7 pre-set speeds. When they brought out the new Jazz, they initially fitted an auto-changing gear box, as this was cheaper. However, it was not popular with drivers as it gave a jerky gear change, so Honda went back to the CVT type.

I've never had a Honda Jazz, auto or manual, but that is how I remember it, from what I've read. Hopefully someone will correct me if I've got it wrong.

The point is - if considering a second hand Jazz auto, and you want the smooth CVT change, then check which gearbox it has.

Archived