Increasing borrowing to reduce borrowing.

I agree as long as the wage isn't paid out of taxation.

When will you understand that people don't necessarily just sit & do nothing all day because they work for the government?

They're often doing a job that earns more than their wages, just like private sector employees. As long as they're not making a loss bigger than their unemployment benefit payments, they should be working.

When will you understand that people don't necessarily just sit & do nothing all day because they work for the government?

They're often doing a job that earns more than their wages, just like private sector employees.

I do understand that, I understand than many public sector workers work hard and are necessary, I also understand that there are many that do very little and their job and wage can't be justified, I also understand fully how wasteful some government departments are and that we need make sure every penny is spent wisely and efficiently.

I agree as long as the wage isn't paid out of taxation.

Maybe a lower higher rate tax threshold would stop companies looking for legal ways to avoid paying tax, and the public can easily punish companies that don’t pay what is considered to be fare tax.

Some of it may be funded from tax receipts, directly or indirectly. It depends what the roles are and how much economic value they add. For example increased R&D spend by the government might yield economic advantages.

You might not have noticed but Osborne has just made it easier for corporations to avoid tax.

That must be why there's been massive queues at airports etc, which is set to get much much worse with the 33% of staffing cuts just around the corner.

I'm not sure that's the case. If people/industry paid their taxes like they are supposed to, instead of stashing it in tax havens, perhaps the public services would be like they should.

EDIT:

And to prove the point: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17993945

There are queues at certain times because as I stated earlier the management of these public services have their own agendas to make things look worse than they really are. A simple investigation into the queues found poor management and a dismal use of resources. It's the same story all over the public sector. Not one of them fit for purpose despite overmanning and more management than you can shake a stick at.

As far as taxes go we have already seen many companies relocate overseas and set up call centres in places like India and Malaysia where they get better skilled people with a better work ethic. If you clamp down too hard you'll only send more abroad. Corporation Tax in Ireland was as low as 12% compared to our 28%. If you make a big profit that would be a big saving. Perhaps the people they should be clamping down on are cash in hand tradesmen. They could be costing the Treasury just as much as big businesses.

They're often doing a job that earns more than their wages, just like private sector employees. As long as they're not making a loss bigger than their unemployment benefit payments, they should be working.

It's not that they sit and do nothing, it's that the entire sum of their collective work achieves very little. Every day we read of "failings" in this service or that service. The whole of the public sector is an expensive, wasteful shambles and we should not be borrowing and mortgaging our grandchildren's futures to keep so many lightweights in overgenerous salaries, benefits and pensions to make public services not fit for purpose.

There are queues at certain times because as I stated earlier the management of these public services have their own agendas to make things look worse than they really are. A simple investigation into the queues found poor management and a dismal use of resources. It's the same story all over the public sector. Not one of them fit for purpose despite overmanning and more management than you can shake a stick at.

As far as taxes go we have already seen many companies relocate overseas and set up call centres in places like India and Malaysia where they get better skilled people with a better work ethic. If you clamp down too hard you'll only send more abroad. Corporation Tax in Ireland was as low as 12% compared to our 28%. If you make a big profit that would be a big saving. Perhaps the people they should be clamping down on are cash in hand tradesmen. They could be costing the Treasury just as much as big businesses.

The easiest way to clamp down is to stop personal tax and just have higher VAT, even criminal pay VAT.

The easiest way to clamp down is to stop personal tax and just have higher VAT, even criminal pay VAT.

I would go the other way and get rid of VAT and concentrate on personal tax. VAT is a tax on the poor and the old. VAT is a tax on disposable income and some people don't have much of that. I would get rid of council tax for anyone over 65 as well.

I would go the other way and get rid of VAT and concentrate on personal tax. VAT is a tax on the poor and the old. VAT is a tax on disposable income and some people don't have much of that. I would get rid of council tax for anyone over 65 as well.

Personal tax is the way to go although because of EU rules we can't ditch VAT anyway.

VAT fraud isn't exactly uncommon.

More importantly though it's regressive and makes any progressive taxation very difficult.

I wouldn't have thought it’s as common as tax avoidance, and it’s easy to make it progressive by having higher VAT on luxury items and zero VAT on essential items.

EG. The more expensive the car the higher the VAT.

Archived