Cycle tyre sizes

Hi,

i need new tyres for my bike i use for work. the size on the original tyre says 700 x 250 which is fine but i want some slightly fatter tyres could someone tell me on a 700 wheel how fat can i buy tyres?

many thanks

Hi,

i need new tyres for my bike i use for work. the size on the original tyre says 700 x 250 which is fine but i want some slightly fatter tyres could someone tell me on a 700 wheel how fat can i buy tyres?

many thanks

700 x 28 or 32 or 35-any wider and they will not clear the rear stays.

Take your bike to a good shop and ask what will fit. I recommend Edinburgh Bicycle, A E Butterworth, or Bike Tree (but that one is very mountain bike oriented). Others here can recommend their favourites in other areas of Sheffield.

But if you are cycling on the road you're probably better off without fatter tyres.

I have the schwalbe marathon plus, more expensive but haven't had a puncture in 2 years, I have them on my mountain bike and my road bike, i got the 700x23 they are spot on.

I have Marathons (not Plus, which I've heard are better but harder to get on the wheel) and have had very few punctures since I switched to them.

Archived