Firth Derihon Stampings, Tinsley

johnfromoz

John I know your brother very well he tormented me for about 16 years at work and still does. I also remember you many years ago we met a derihons it was Christmas time Brian and I always went down to check heating ect and feed the cats you came with him one Christmas if you remember when we got there we found water in the offices and you helped us to clear up the mess. I still keep in touch with Brian.

thanks for getting in touch

regards Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Good to see a recent addition to this Thread with Steve Salt.

What years were you at Derihons and what did you do ?

Although did not realise at the time Derihons was a good place to be and be thrown into an environment with a multitude of fantastic personalities , the likes of which we are unlikely to meet again.

I realise there are many of the people I worked alongside and new have passed on but there must be some still battling along.

What happened to Harry Gilbern and Jack Jones , forgers at Dunlop Street , and then Les Parkes from Die Shop, and what about Carol Ward who was secretary to the reverred Ted Leybourne who became Managing Director.

Surely someone out there knows what became of just these memorable names.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Hi Gary

Hope you are well you asked about Les Parkes. I should have told you about Les when I first emailed you. I knew Les very well he lived in handsworth and we travelled together on the bus to work for a few years. When Dunlop st closed in 1968 Les transfferd to the die shop at Tinsley working on the milling m/c Les was keen runner and did several charity runs.This will come as a shock to you. His last run sadly was round Britian again for charity when the runners arrived in Scotland Les collapsed with a heart attack and sadly died this was in the 1980s could have been 1986 or 1987 (memory failing me ) A commerative plaque hung in the reception at Tinsley I think it went to Darley Dale. Les was married with i think 2 small children sadly missed by all at Derihons.

About the others you mentioned i will try to find out what become of them (and if Carol has still got her good looks )

Happy New Year

Regards Jim

Hello Jim Hall.

Referring to Les out of the die shop at Dunlop St., you indicated his sir name was Parkes, which could well be that name. However I thought he lived at Eckington , and he also sang in a male voice choir, which I have seen him sing in the early 1960's in Eckington . He had a moustache and sang base, was a rum type of a man, good company with many a tale to tell, but your description of the man does not sound right.

Are we talking about the same Les ?

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 16:29 ----------

Hello Kateykrunch,

Did your step father Ron Weldon work in the die shop at Dunlop St , or Tinsley .

I will try and put a face to the name , dont seem to have a record of him up to now , but will be pleased to incorporate in the Web Site

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 05-01-2014 at 16:29 ----------

Hello Kateykrunch,

Did your step father Ron Weldon work in the die shop at Dunlop St , or Tinsley .

I will try and put a face to the name , dont seem to have a record of him up to now , but will be pleased to incorporate in the Web Site

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Hi Gary, Ron weldon worked at Dunlop Street in the die shop, hope you can find records of him, would be really interesting to know more about his work life. I do remember him talking about Les Parkes and we met him at the Panto at the Lyceum if my memory serves me right, also remember taking the kids with Ron on the Alton Tower trip in the 80's.

Hello Katey,

Have you a year for Ron at Dunlop St.,? What machine did he operate ?

I am short on I think a couple of names from the Die Shop at Dunlop St., and you may well have jogged my memory with Ron. I am remembering Nobby Clarke the oldest there,also a young man Steve Toyne ,also the disputed Les Parkes , and Harry Pashley was Die Manager.

I will be interested to incorporate Ron into the web site , have you any other detail

Regards

Gary Marshman