Equipment Hire business - Heeley Bottom

1965 directory,

London Road.

426 Mrs. Catherine Mappin, wardrobe dealer.

428 Arber & Walker Electric Ltd. electrical contractors.

430 R S Hutchinson, contractors.

432 W Bishop & Sons. (Sheffield) Ltd. printers.

442 Nathional Provincial Bank Ltd.

------- Wolsey Road --------

426 Hanley Albert, engineer.

432 The Priory Press, printers.

434 Sheffield Billiard Hall Co.Ltd. billiard saloon.

438 Greer & Adams, physicians.

438 Greer Chas. F.R.C.S. & M.R.C.P. irel,,D.P.H:.Dub.physcn.& surgn.

438 Adams David F.R.C.S.irel., D.P.H.Dub. physician & surgn.

442 National Provincial Bank Ltd.

442 Laughton Fras. Wm. caretakr.

----------- Wolseley road -----------

On Heeley Bottom ( London Rd, opposite Lowfields school ) there is an Equipment / Tool hire company situated in a glass fronted, white coloured building. Anyone with memories of what businesses in the past have been situated there ?

I can remember this as being Bishops printers in the 1970s. Bishops later moved to Netherthorpe Road.

1965 directory, London Road.

426 Mrs.Catherine Mappin, wardrobe dealer.

428 Arber & Walker Electric Ltd. electrical contractors.

430 R S Hutchinson, contractors.

432 W Bishop & Sons. (Sheffield) Ltd. printers.

442 National Provincial Bank Ltd.

------- Wolsey Road --------

Presuming that 'wardrobe dealer' is a euphemism for a secondhand clothes shop? Is this the bit of London Road north of the Queens Road traffic lights? I remember Funnells secondhand furniture shop on the corner below the big church and think Arber & Walker were still there until at least the mid 80s.

Have you got a list for further along, more Heeley Bottom area, me-and-pippo? In the 50s/60s, I remember Savage the butchers and there was a dress shop on the corner of Chippinghouse road where my mother got American tan stockings for the summer and assorted underpinnings ;) There was also an outfitters on the other side with a recessed entrance and some sort of mirrored pillar where I remember being bought a flowered coronet and veil and a very flouncy white First Communion dress, made from that revolutionary fabric 'paper nylon'. There was an engineering firm with sliding metal doors and a little sweetshop that jutted out over the river, just by the bridge.

Have you got a list for further along, more Heeley Bottom area, me-and-pippo? In the 50s/60s, I remember Savage the butchers and there was a dress shop on the corner of Chippinghouse road where my mother got American tan stockings for the summer and assorted underpinnings ;) There was also an outfitters on the other side with a recessed entrance and some sort of mirrored pillar where I remember being bought a flowered coronet and veil and a very flouncy white First Communion dress, made from that revolutionary fabric 'paper nylon'. There was an engineering firm with sliding metal doors and a little sweetshop that jutted out over the river, just by the bridge.

Here you are rubydazzler,

Kelly's directory 1965, London Road.

Wolseley Road to Broadfield Road.

Queens Road to Gleadless Road.

Archived