Need help with benefits advice.

Can anyone please offer advice. My son was thrown off disability allowance after being on it for a few years. He is not able to work and has appealed. His money stopped on 12th April. We can't find out how to go on or where to go for advice. Can you give us some pointers please.

Can anyone please offer advice. My son was thrown off disability allowance after being on it for a few years. He is not able to work and has appealed. His money stopped on 12th April. We can't find out how to go on or where to go for advice. Can you give us some pointers please.

Jobseekers allowance.

If, as you say, he's been thrown off disability living allowance then he IS fit to work.

What disability does he claim to have?

If, as you say, he's been thrown off disability living allowance then he IS fit to work.

I know what your disability is, rickie. :loopy:

I assume the OP means that her son has had his Employment and Support Allowance stopped because he has failed the Work Capability Assesment test. There are 2 options;

1) Appeal - you have to do this within a month of the letter telling him the ESA is stopping, although the DWP may allow a late appeal. You fill in a GL24 form (quite simple to do) and in it put that you want the ESA to continue while the appeal is ongoing. You also have to get doctor's sickness certificates to cover every day that the appeal covers.

2) Claim JSA instead. If he does this then your son will have to be availabe to work and looking for work. If he isn't able to work then ESA is your only option. You can claim JSA online or by phone.

For any other help see http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk/.

Jobseekers allowance.

If he's appealed against the decision, he cannot claim JSA until after the appeal is heard.

The correct procedure used to be to claim for income support and be paid it at a reduced rate. (Apparently people appealing against a DWP decision don't need as much money to live on as other people. Nobody ever explained why.) But I haven't dealt with such a case for a few years and it may have changed.

appeal in writing, or get the appeal form from the job centre.

once they have received it they should backdate the esa payments and continue to pay it until the appeal is heard.

due to so many people appealing it is pretty backed up but at least you can continue to receive esa in the meanwhile.

has he been thrown off ESA or DLA? two different benefits alltogether

Archived