Need help with benefits advice.

appeal in writing, or get the appeal form from the job centre.

once they have received it they should backdate the esa payments and continue to pay it until the appeal is heard.

due to so many people appealing it is pretty backed up but at least you can continue to receive esa in the meanwhile.

not sure if that is correct. my son, a child, is autisic, I was told he will only receive low, as opposed to middle rate, I have appealed, but until the appeal, up to 33 wks, he will be on the low rate. if not and you lose tha appeal you would owe a lot of money!!

The thing that gets me is that everything just stops. I know the government are trying to get everyone to work but there aren't enough jobs for the able bodied let alone people who are sick or have chronic pain. He has no money coming in at all so has to rely on me, a pensioner, to help him over this hurdle. And thanks to the man who answered saying he should get a job and not sponge off society. How about you do the same. It's the system I have issue with. He can't even go for jobseekers. How do they expect people to survive. He needs quite a lot of medication - benefits stop - has to pay for prescriptions - no money - no medication. What sort of country is this. I never thought I would see the day when I want to turn my back on it all.

The thing that gets me is that everything just stops. I know the government are trying to get everyone to work but there aren't enough jobs for the able bodied let alone people who are sick or have chronic pain. He has no money coming in at all so has to rely on me, a pensioner, to help him over this hurdle.

He should claim for income support - and, while he's at the jobcentre doing so, ask if there is anything else he's entitled to claim for while waiting for his appeal to be heard.

not sure if that is correct. my son, a child, is autisic, I was told he will only receive low, as opposed to middle rate, I have appealed, but until the appeal, up to 33 wks, he will be on the low rate. if not and you lose tha appeal you would owe a lot of money!!

ah right, maybe It's a different benefit he's on. I'm on esa, failed the atos test, sent off my appeal form and having received my appeal they have put me back on esa. maybe It's a different situation for you though.

He should claim for income support - and, while he's at the jobcentre doing so, ask if there is anything else he's entitled to claim for while waiting for his appeal to be heard.

Tanks for that. He can't get through the door at the local social. He's already apealed (12th April) but heard nothing. It seems they're all passing the buck and using delaying tactics.

If, as you say, he's been thrown off disability living allowance then he IS fit to work.

What disability does he claim to have?

His problems are many - skeletal, muscular, ulcerated legs, chronic pain, deformed spine, liver problems, to name but a few. He was interviewed by a nurse. No medical examination so he's requested a full medical. Don't just assume because they're taken off there's nothing wrong with them. It even says in the letter "we know you have disabilities". But because people can use their arms and legs they aren't classed as disabled. If they don't class him as disabled he's certainly incapacitated. By the way his daughter and grandson of 9 months also have the problems.

Contact the local Citizen's Advice Bureau as soon as humanly possible, and get an appointment with an advisor. They are best-placed and trained to know what to do.

thats not always the case benefits change like the wind, theres always something changeing when i worked there we were always in team meetings on changes that had occurred, keeping up with that was a right ball ache, CAB must really be on the ball to keep up at the same speed as us, their info though valuble, may not be up to speed in some cases, benefits helpline is the one to ring, ive asked if its ESA or DLA hes been thrown off, still dont know, if its DLA they have a helpline for advice on that benefit

His problems are many - skeletal, muscular, ulcerated legs, chronic pain, deformed spine, liver problems, to name but a few. He was interviewed by a nurse. No medical examination so he's requested a full medical. Don't just assume because they're taken off there's nothing wrong with them. It even says in the letter "we know you have disabilities". But because people can use their arms and legs they aren't classed as disabled. If they don't class him as disabled he's certainly incapacitated. By the way his daughter and grandson of 9 months also have the problems.

HOw can he have been thrown off with those problems? to me thats a genuine disability.

Problem is its the people you see down the boozer, the ones on the x-box or the ones playing with themselves all day that give the genuine ill people a bad name - hence the lack of sympathy from some people

Appeal. The assesments a joke, by people not qualifued to give medical assesments. Sane thing happened to my mother. I think 90% appeals are being upheld. Its this govt. They make it hard for everyone.

Archived