A question about broken white lines in the road.

I was involved in a car crash last year... at the moment of impact I was on the "wrong" side of the road because I was passing parked cars near a bit of a blind bend when a speeding oncoming car came along and went into the front of me.

I just want to know, is it significant that there are no broken white lines on the stretch of road where it happened?

Presumably none (you'd hope) or the parked cars would have been causing an obstruction by forcing cars to cross a solid white line.

The cars certernly did force me to drive on the "wrong" side of the road in order to pass them, but I'm wondering weather technically, is there a right or wrong side of a road that doesn't have lines down the middle.

This might help

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

If it is a continuous line on your side, then you are allowed to cross it to pass a parked vehicle, but the onus is on you to ensure that the road is clear. (see 129).

But it is your responsibility to ensure it is safe anyway before crossing into the opposite lane, whatever the road markings are. I think it would come down to how fast the car was coming in the opposite direction, and whether the road was completely clear as far as you could see when you committed to the overtake.

As Cyclone noted above, a continuous line would have prohibited anyone from parking. If that were the case, they could have been done for that.

Edit. Now read that there were no road markings, so can ignore the above.

The cars certernly did force me to drive on the "wrong" side of the road in order to pass them, but I'm wondering weather technically, is there a right or wrong side of a road that doesn't have lines down the middle.

Turn the issue around..if the other guy had done what you did would you think he was on the "wrong" side?

If the overtake was started when the road was clear as far as you could see, then in theory the fault would belong to the other vehicle (even if they weren't breaking the speed limit) assuming that you were proceeding cautiously.

If the overtake was started when the road was clear as far as you could see, then in theory the fault would belong to the other vehicle (even if they weren't breaking the speed limit) assuming that you were proceeding cautiously.

Even if the overtake is performed very close to a sharp bend? How is the other guy supposed to see around that? I'd put the onus on the guy on the wrong side of the road to be sure of the safety of his manouver ..Just playing DA.. :)

The other guy should come around the corner in such a way that they could stop if there were a sheep in the road (for example).

What's the alternative to passing the parked cars? If you can't pass them, you can't do a turn in the road and reversing back down your own carriageway doesn't sound very safe!

Archived