A question about broken white lines in the road.

If you're on the wrong side of the road I think it's usually fairly clear cut that it was your fault. That's the only real evidence, nobody will be able to prove speeds with any real accuracy. It's up to you to make sure that it's clear when you're on the wrong side of the road.

If you're on the wrong side of the road I think it's usually fairly clear cut that it was your fault. That's the only real evidence, nobody will be able to prove speeds with any real accuracy. It's up to you to make sure that it's clear when you're on the wrong side of the road.

That's all rather misleading really isn't it.

The OP said that they did make sure it was clear. They can't see around corners though, and in the situation described it's up to both drivers to proceed with reasonable caution.

That's all rather misleading really isn't it.

The OP said that they did make sure it was clear. They can't see around corners though, and in the situation described it's up to both drivers to proceed with reasonable caution.

If it was clear then there wouldn't have been a collision, the person on the wrong side of the road has extra responsibility to make sure it's clear. The rest boils down to one person's word against another. Maybe if there are tyre marks showing the other driver breaking hard, otherwise what else is there?

It might sound harsh, but with no witnesses, nobody admitting blame & no other real evidence the person on the wrong side of the road is likely to lose.

If it was clear then there wouldn't have been a collision

You seem to have a very black and white view of the road.

It was clear, when the OP started passing the obstruction.

the person on the wrong side of the road has extra responsibility to make sure it's clear. The rest boils down to one person's word against another. Maybe if there are tyre marks showing the other driver breaking hard, otherwise what else is there?

There may not be enough evidence to prove it, but that doesn't mean it was the OPs fault.

It might sound harsh, but with no witnesses, nobody admitting blame & no other real evidence the person on the wrong side of the road is likely to lose.

Which isn't what you said.

Loosing is not the same as

fairly clear cut that it was your fault.

that.

If it was clear then there wouldn't have been a collision, the person on the wrong side of the road has extra responsibility to make sure it's clear. The rest boils down to one person's word against another. Maybe if there are tyre marks showing the other driver breaking hard, otherwise what else is there?

The mere fact I was on the wrong side of the road ought to be excusable because of the parked cars forcing me to be there.

As for the other guy coming the other way, isn't there an owness on drivers going downhill to give way to those coming up?? :help:

The mere fact I was on the wrong side of the road ought to be excusable because of the parked cars forcing me to be there.

As for the other guy coming the other way, isn't there an owness on drivers going downhill to give way to those coming up?? :help:

Etiquette is to give way to those coming uphill as it's easier to get moving again when facing downhill; I don't know if there's anything in the highway code about it.

It all comes down to how careful you were about trying to make sure it was clear for you to pass - and that would come down to who makes the best argument, in the absence of any witnesses. You know, based on the information you've given us, that this wasn't your fault - but whether anyone would believe you if you had to testify in court, is quite another matter.

I don't think I'd have described WBR as having a blind bend anywhere. I drive and run down it quite often.

I drive up it from Rivelin Valley road practically everyday and everytime I come to this bend (which is what I call a blind bend at a certern point) I nearly always encounter an oncoming car, and the same thing happens everytime, we see each other, slow right down or stop, and one gives way to the other, no problem...except one day when one particular idiot came flying round the bend way too fast.....he saw me alright and hit the brakes but because of his speed slid right into the front of me!!!

Archived