Has anyone else noticed how nearly every garage`s toilet "is broken" ?

Totally agree with the OP. It's one of my pet hates too, along with petrol stations that never have the free air line working either. I choose where I spend my money according to the level of customer service.

I have free air and water.

One more thing Justin.

You call into my petrol station one day and ask to use the toilet. We don't have a public toilet so we politely say 'sorry, we don't have a public toilet'. I have two staff working that particular day. In order for them to offer you 'good customer service' would mean that they were breaking the law. As there are more than 8 pumps, by law, you have to have 2 staff operating them at all times or as a very minimum, available to operate them. While you're in my loo, my staff member has to wait for you, leaving one member of staff operating more than 8 pumps, which is illegal. So in your eyes, good customer service means that I should break the law and risk being prosecuted? Would you do that?

One more thing Justin.

You call into my petrol station one day and ask to use the toilet. We don't have a public toilet so we politely say 'sorry, we don't have a public toilet'. I have two staff working that particular day. In order for them to offer you 'good customer service' would mean that they were breaking the law. As there are more than 8 pumps, by law, you have to have 2 staff operating them at all times or as a very minimum, available to operate them. While you're in my loo, my staff member has to wait for you, leaving one member of staff operating more than 8 pumps, which is illegal. So in your eyes, good customer service means that I should break the law and risk being prosecuted? Would you do that?

There`s probably some Health and Safety B******s ruling about customers using our loo. I couldn`t give a toss, I`m more bothered about my customers, so long as they actually spend some money with me that is. I hate time wasters even more than the next man.

There`s probably some Health and Safety B******s ruling about customers using our loo. I couldn`t give a toss, I`m more bothered about my customers, so long as they actually spend some money with me that is. I hate time wasters even more than the next man.

So you'd happily pay a £20,000 fine for the sake of someone wanting to use your toilet?

I think we fundamentally disagree about the value to your business of "the benefit".

No, what we disagree on is you can and probably have the time to let people use your toilet at your business premises, because you think it's offering them good customer service. That's your opinion. Chance are, they wouldn't think any less of you if you said no. Our disagreement is you saying because I SHOULD let people use our staff toilet, I'm offering POOR customer service. My petrol stations serve on average 15-16 thousand people each week. Thats more than 2000 per day. I want people in and out. The 'service' I offer is having the fuel for them to fill up their cars at a competitive price. Not a loo for some of them to use. There is no benefit for me to have a loo. It wouldn't make people spend more. There is no benefit, only expense in monetary terms and addition staff hours.

I do give a toss because if i was to let customers into the back area, i could lose my job! Which i'm not willing to do just because you need a wee!!

The petrol station i work at is at Meadowhall. The land and building that we rent belongs to Meadowhall. We have asked them previously if we could install a customer toilet. They said no. (They hope that when we tell customers we don't have a public toilet, they'll ask where the nearest one is and we'll tell them it's in Meadowhall. Off they go to use the toilets in Meadowhall and end up doing a bit of shopping while they're in there.)

So we can't have one installed as Meadowhall won't allow it. I can't let customers into the back as i could lose my job. So now what do you suggest i do?

To be honest I have always found customers who insist they have a right to use your loo the most ignorant, obnoxious, stupid doofuses ever. Any normal person would just accept that there is not a public toilet at that particular establishment. The type of person who insists in my experience is always an extreme oddball.

Archived