Should the UK have a 5 children cap for benefits?

Should MW be enough for someone who doesn't work full time to live on without claiming (assuming that they can claim)?

It is probably enough for a single person in a bedsit, or sharing accommodation. Two adults on full time, minimum wage incomes should also be able to manage. The difficulties arise when the jobs aren't full time, there isn't any affordable accommodation available, and/or there are dependents.

A 37 hour week on NMW = Annual salary of £11700. That probably equates to a bring home wage of around £200 a week/£400 a week for a couple.

It is probably enough for a single person in a bedsit, or sharing accommodation. Two adults on full time, minimum wage incomes should also be able to manage. The difficulties arise when the jobs aren't full time, there isn't any affordable accommodation available, and/or there are dependents.

A 37 hour week on NMW = Annual salary of £11700. That probably equates to a bring home wage of around £200 a week/£400 a week for a couple.

With a minimum wage, we need a maximum rent. The maximum rent being a proportion of the minimum wage.

Yet in the UK, the minimum wage is rising below inflation, and rent is being forced up consistently above inflation...

Meaning wages are too low/rent is too high.

As the years go by more people realise the swindle. And the financially rational stop working and claim benefits.

Housing costs in this country are a complete and utter joke. Serfs work for the lords of the land, and realise no fruits from their labour. The only solution is to abuse the state benefit system and force the state to crash, meanwhile working cash in hand in preparation for a transition to a new state.

Should MW be enough for someone who doesn't work full time to live on without claiming (assuming that they can claim)?

I would say that to get the work life balance right 24 hours work should earn enough to exist without the need for assistance, obviously the luxuries of life would come from working more hours, and not from getting benifits.

With a minimum wage, we need a maximum rent. The maximum rent being a proportion of the minimum wage.

This makes no sense, why should the rent of a 10 bedroom mansion be related to the minimum wage?

Yet in the UK, the minimum wage is rising below inflation, and rent is being forced up consistently above inflation...

Forced by what?

Meaning wages are too low/rent is too high.

As the years go by more people realise the swindle. And the financially rational stop working and claim benefits.

Or they buy a house and stop paying rent.

Housing costs in this country are a complete and utter joke. Serfs work for the lords of the land, and realise no fruits from their labour.

Apart from being paid of course, but lets pretend eh.

The only solution is to abuse the state benefit system and force the state to crash, meanwhile working cash in hand in preparation for a transition to a new state.

Or to gain some skills, get better work, be paid appropriately and live a happy life. But that would require a little bit of effort instead of a lot of whining.

Id cap it at 2 kids aswell. Most responsible parents only have as many children as they can afford.

Its a pity more people dont have that attitude.

I have two step children - what you are saying is I shouldn't be allowed to create my own as that would be more than two. Who are you to dictate if I should be allowed children or not.

I work. I changed my career so I could provide for my family (in more ways than just money as my original career would see me out of the country a lot)

My wife is studying to get a better job. Our long term aim is to not relay on any benefits.

I have two step children - what you are saying is I shouldn't be allowed to create my own as that would be more than two. Who are you to dictate if I should be allowed children or not.

I don't think Green's argument is against larger families but that benefits should only be paid for 2 children..

Or to gain some skills, get better work, be paid appropriately and live a happy life. But that would require a little bit of effort instead of a lot of whining.

This is what my wife is doing - but to do this we need to claim HB/CTB and tax credits.

After my wife qualifies and hopefully finds a job her starting wage will be slightly more than our total income (inc benefits) now so add my wage to it and we will be fine.

I have a disability so I'm still only need to work 16 hrs a week. The work I have managed to secure us casual so some good months and some bad months. All worked out at end of year and sometimes there is a overpayment and sometimes an underpayment.

I am currently looking for full time work but I will not work for MW in a profession that I put myself at risk, can't be avoided sometimes but if I'm gonna do this I deserve to be rewarded appropriately not ripped off.

Archived