Should the UK have a 5 children cap for benefits?

I'd go further, for new claimants.

If we had a universal benefit which declined for every child that you had beyond two, that might encourage people to have small families and help us to regain control of the population.

For over 40 years our birth rate has been below replacement level, the TFR is lower than 2.1/ And it has been since 1971 when FIAT money took hold, and the accompanying inflation.

UK population growth is driven 100% by immigration. IF it wan;t for immigration our population would be shrinking!

I'd go further, for new claimants.

If we had a universal benefit which declined for every child that you had beyond two, that might encourage people to have small families and help us to regain control of the population.

Id cap it at 2 kids aswell. Most responsible parents only have as many children as they can afford.

Its a pity more people dont have that attitude.

Guest sibon

UK population growth is driven 100% by immigration. IF it wan;t for immigration our population would be shrinking!

I was thinking bigger. The population of the Earth is too big. We need a decent method of population control. I think paying people to not have kids is a way forward.

Good news IMO. I'd like to see it reduced much further, to two, and then to one. We need to reduce the population before resources are gone.

The unpalatable truth though is that the problems of increasing population aren't created by babies being born, but people retiring younger and living longer.

There is of course no plan to cap the number of children you can have, contrary to the thread title and the first sentence of the OP.

I recall a case of tax change policy in the US.

With regards to a laxer inheritance tax. Before it came into place, old aged deaths decreased! And afterwards there was a slight peak!

Which would only exacerbate the serious social and economic problems associated with an ageing population.

The unpalatable truth though is that the problems of increasing population aren't created by babies being born, but people retiring younger and living longer.

In terms of land productivity, 36 billion could easily be fed.

But the value of 'low population density' would increase. Even now, when one walks in the hills, he comes across people. The chance to be alone, or to have your 'own space' say an house, it diminishes, more compete for less per capita space, and space demands a premium.

also, as mentioned, we are actually reproducing at a low rate. It's other countries that are going breeding bonkers.

Archived