Sending Dad'sWW1 Bayonet to Grandson in Denmark

I want to send my father's WW1 bayonet to my Grandson in Denmark.

Does anyone know if it is ok by post, does it have to be declared as Denmark is in the Common Market.

I should hate to send it in ignorance and have it seized.

Has anyone any experience in anything like this, advice appreciated.

Happy Days PopT

Your post prompted me to google......

There are lots of bayonets for sale on ebay, so I guess they all get posted.

I'm sure someone will be along soon that knows the legalities (or not).

I would assume it be ok as weapons that are highly illegal in the UK are sold openly in most european countries (CS gas, butterfly knives etc).

I also was forced to google though and found this which may help (See the bottom table)

Hi PopT - as per the link provided by V.Rossi it is OK if the bayonet is well packed. From the Royal Mail website:

Restricted goods - Royal Mail Ltd.

These restrictions apply throughout our UK and international postal service ...

Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.

Assuming you are in the UK there is no need for a customs declaration form. If you mark it SMALL PACKET it is cheaper than the letter rate, but at this cheaper rate (maximum weight 2 kilos) you can't include a letter.

Best wishes,

Philip.:)

A big thankyou to everyone who answered my query.

I can now send it, the bayonet is in it's original metal scabbard and is in excellent condition.

After keeping it for 94 years it would be a shame it it had been confiscated by the customs service.

It was used in battle by my father on the Somme and along with a piece of shrapnel which taken out of a face wound, they are a grim reminder of his bravery and the loss of his colleagues from that gruesome war.

PopT

A big thankyou to everyone who answered my query.

I can now send it, the bayonet is in it's original metal scabbard and is in excellent condition.

After keeping it for 94 years it would be a shame it it had been confiscated by the customs service.

It was used in battle by my father on the Somme and along with a piece of shrapnel which taken out of a face wound, they are a grim reminder of his bravery and the loss of his colleagues from that gruesome war.

PopT

As my grandfather was marching to the front on the Somme in 1915, a French nun hung a beautiful wooden rosary on his neck. He was not a catholic, but he valued it all the same. He survived four years at the front, but finished up in Middlewood hospital with what was then called shell shock. I still have that rosary to this day. My son David survived a bombing in Iraq that killed his pal, funny how the past repeats.

You need to contact Royal Mail Customer Services on 0845 7740 740. Some countries no not accept certain items (I did 20 years in the CSC). Certain countries do not accept cine films or shaving brushes - honest. You would be better ringing that number that than losing the item.

Archived