North Carolina Ban Same Sex Unions

Teenagers stabbing other teenagers to death in post code battles wouldn't affect you either.

One teenager killing another is none of your business is it?

And what does that have to do with same sex marriage?

It's like me saying that aid workers in Africa don't affect you.

I havent heard of gays being murdered in North Carolina. You seem to have a big problem with the basic right of democracy... the humble vote.

No, we have a problem with direct democracy, the same problem that the founding fathers of the US had, in fact: That it leads to the majority persecuting and denying the rights of minorities.

You're the one who seems to have a problem with democracy: you don't understand it.

No, we have a problem with direct democracy, the same problem that the founding fathers of the US had, in fact: That it leads to the majority persecuting and denying the rights of minorities.

You're the one who seems to have a problem with democracy: you don't understand it.

Since you're the expert on democracy what exactly would you have done as State governor of North Carolina to settle the issue of same sex marriage?

The problem is voters and judges are not being kicked around.

Of course I understand it..just because i understand doesn't mean I have to advocate it in any way or form..

You just seem to go all protective (you're like "Spike") and make it a UK/EU/ vUS thing.

As for Sheffield...I'll humour another "versus" jibe. No we're not, but we do have a few kicking around. Unless you were complimenting...sometimes its hard to figure out.

You have a reading comprehension problem.. I am not being protective. I am just trying to explain that not everything outside Sheffield runs like Sheffield

Maybe you could ask why same sex marriage is not a right in Saudi Arabia or why the freedom of political dissent is not a right in a country like China

You have a reading comprehension proble.. I am not being protective. I am just trying to explain that not everything outside Sheffield runs like Sheffield

Never said it did..that's your gripe not mine.

Maybe you could ask why same sex marriage is not a right in Saudi Arabia or why the freedom of political dissent is not a right in a country like China

Basically because they have the same mindset as those of NC

At least NC voted for inequality, bigotry and homophobia...I'll give you that. Yay it's the way forward.

You have a reading comprehension proble.. I am not being protective. I am just trying to explain that not everything outside Sheffield runs like Sheffield

If there was someone from China or Saudi Arabia on here pontificating in the same distasteful way that you do then perhaps we would.

Since you're the expert on democracy what exactly would you have done as State governor of North Carolina to settle the issue of same sex marriage?

I don't know what powers the state governor has, but I would do whatever was within my powers to uphold the principle of equality for all, as laid down in your constitution.

No, that's not at all what I'm saying.

The tyranny of the minority over the majority in your case. My way or the highway.. take it or leave it.

Dont matter if you have the vote and pay taxes you have no say because I SAID SO

A Gate keepers guide to democracy

The tyranny of the minority over the majority in your case. My way or the highway.. take it or leave it.

Dont matter if you have the vote and pay taxes you have no say because I SAID SO

A Gate keepers guide to democracy

How could you possibly have misunderstood me? how can I be more explicit than "No, that's not at all what I'm saying." ?

Or are you just trolling me now?

How could legal recognition of same sex partnerships (be it marriage or something else) possibly be tyranny of the minority? It changes absolutely nothing for the majority, they would be completely unaffected, the only people who it would affect would be the minority.

I don't know what powers the state governor has, but I would do whatever was within my powers to uphold the principle of equality for all, as laid down in your constitution.

You would have a battery of lawyers for the opposition on your ass if you as Governor had passed a law for same sex marriage. A State governor has no right or power to pass new laws or basing new laws by interpreting what is constitutional or unconstituional. That's the job of the Supreme Court judges and that's why we have a Supreme Court. A judge cannot pass laws either but he can rule if they fall under constitutional rights or not.

Why do I have to keep sounding like a broken record? Only a Constitutional Amendment voted on by the Supreme Court in Washongton DC can make same sex marriage as a right to be universally enjoyed by all gays in all states and which supercedes any and all individual state laws banning same sex marriage. It's not simply a matter of tagging same sex marriages onto the civil rights amendment already in place. It needs a separate ruling and debate by the 9 judges of the Supreme Court

This will take time and patience and for the umpteenth and last time gay activists in North Carolina can petiton their lawyers for a judicial hearing to overturn the vote to ban same sex marriage. That's what has happened in California after proposition 8 passed a couple of years ago.

Archived