North Carolina Ban Same Sex Unions

Obama has said that he's for gay marriage but that the states should vote for or against it.

Sounds right to me. If anyone has a problem with that contact the appropriate authorities. Mention that you are with the Sheffield Forum. That should make em sit up and take notice be gad !!

There is a precedent in America where the tail end of the Civil Rights movement caused anti-miscegenation laws to be overturned by the Supreme Court. Years later it seems madness to us that a state could stop people marrying because of different skin colour.

In this context the issue runs a little deeper - beyond 'same-sex marriage'. In certain states, North Carolina being the prime example, there isn't any form of legalised recognition of homosexual relationships, which is absurd. A gay couple have no legal rights together.

Every State should make its own decisions on things such as this, I'm against Same sex marriages just like Obama was at one time, but election years change all that :roll:

So you're all for them this year Miss Daisy? ;)

There is a precedent in America where the tail end of the Civil Rights movement caused anti-miscegenation laws to be overturned by the Supreme Court. Years later it seems madness to us that a state could stop people marrying because of different skin colour.

In this context the issue runs a little deeper - beyond 'same-sex marriage'. In certain states, North Carolina being the prime example, there isn't any form of legalised recognition of homosexual relationships, which is absurd. A gay couple have no legal rights together.

You dont understand how the State/Federal system of government works. States have certain semi-autonomous rights which were agreed on when establishing the Union

You dont understand much about Americans either. They are all different in many ways.

A person from Kansas is nothing like someone from New York or a Californian like someone from Wyoming or someone from Vermont like someone from Georgia.

They all swear loyalty to the same flag and Federal government, speak the same language and use the same currency but their personal views vary greatly on religious or non religious beliefs and social issues which includes same sex marriage.

It may be easy in England for the government in Westminster to pass such a law across the board but far too complex in a country like the US.

Right now it seems the country is split 50-50 on the issue with the younger generation in favour of same sex marriage and the older generation against it.

Dont feel too sorry for us old chap, we have 60 trillion under management in the city. A triple AAA rating. Employment coming down, economy expanding albeit slowly. Due to our low interest rates (lowest in he western world) those who work have plenty of spare cash.

Riots lasted about 4 days, all in custody or awaiting arrest.

North of Bimingham becoming a green and pleasant land and lots of small businesses sprouting and expanding.

The national apathy you mention is actually a sensible reserve. The Germans and French have created their empire which is creaking badly. By staying semi detatched we have done absolutely the right thing.

So thanks for the concern but you really might want to try patronising somene else (Mexico?) we dont need it.

Judging by all the gripes I read on the forum about Cameron and Clegg, cuts to services and austerity measures and a recent declaration that the UK was now in a recession are you sure we're talking about the same country?

Or is the average forum member just a chronic malcontent and whinger? :huh:

Every State should make its own decisions on things such as this, I'm against Same sex marriages just like Obama was at one time, but election years change all that :roll:

Remeber it is optional to take a same sex partner-I dont think most Americans have grasped this point.

You dont understand how the State/Federal system of government works.

What makes you say that? Have I said anything ignorant? A black man in Alabama has the same rights as a black man in Maine. Is that not true? He can make a family with whom he wishes.

Yet a homosexual person in New York has legal rights that a homosexual person in NC is denied. Is that not true?

You dont understand how the State/Federal system of government works. States have certain semi-autonomous rights which were agreed on when establishing the Union

You dont understand much about Americans either. They are all different in many ways.

A person from Kansas is nothing like someone from New York or a Californian like someone from Wyoming or someone from Vermont like someone from Georgia.

They all swear loyalty to the same flag and Federal government, speak the same language and use the same currency but their personal views vary greatly on religious or non religious beliefs and social issues which includes same sex marriage.

It may be easy in England for the government in Westminster to pass such a law across the board but far too complex in a country like the US.

Right now it seems the country is split 50-50 on the issue with the younger generation in favour of same sex marriage and the older generation against it.

Thank you, I've had a lot going on these last few days, but this one point has bugged me. The US is so big, and so geographically different that a law that's useful in crowded Massachussets would be useless in sparsely populated areas of Texas or New Mexico. The states were united into a single federal union. The United States! Get it?! :hihi:

A good series to watch (if you're interested) is

on the History Channel, and How the States got their Shapes , also on the History Channel, but meant more for children. Still interesting though, I used to watch it with my children.

Also, to everyone, please stop with the inbred redneck stuff. It's ignorant, and reminds me of My Cousin Vinny when his friend calls his mother from the police station and says, "you know how corrupt things are down here, they all sleep with their sisters!"

Thank you, I've had a lot going on these last few days, but this one point has bugged me. The US is so big, and so geographically different that a law that's useful in crowded Massachussets would be useless in sparsely populated areas of Texas or New Mexico. The states were united into a single federal union. The United States! Get it?! :hihi:

A good series to watch (if you're interested) is

on the History Channel, and How the States got their Shapes, also on the History Channel, but meant more for children. Still interesting though, I used to watch it with my children.

Also, to everyone, please stop with the inbred redneck stuff. It's ignorant, and reminds me of My Cousin Vinny when his friend calls his mother from the police station and says, "you know how corrupt things are down here, they all sleep with their sisters!"

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you agree with NC?

However crowded or sparsely populated an area is, surely the people who live in a country are entitled to be governed by the same laws, especially in something as basic as this? And does what a particular area decides actually apply in common law all over the USA?

Say you got married or contracted a civil partnerships in NYC, and then you move to NC, how does their law apply to you? And if you live in NC, move to NYC and get married, and then move back, is your contract then invalidated?

Say you got married or contracted a civil partnerships in NYC, and then you move to NC, how does their law apply to you?

Some states will allow people to marry, some will recognise marriages made in other states, and some will not recognise the marriage.

NC have voted to only allow male-female marriage as the only relationship that they will recognise.

Here is a nifty map. Cliquez

Archived