Britain? Thoughts?

Haha. If all the immigrants that people complain about were commonwealth citizens then yes that would be funny. At least they all got to kick the British out and become independent. We will never have that pleasure thanks to Europe. Nor should we.

Tony Blair said we are "the greatest nation on earth and the world knows it" you can't really blame them for wanting to flock here after hearing that.

It’s not relevant today because our generation didn’t colonise the world.

That's true!

We do currently have 14 territories, it could be argued we profit from them and then our generation certainly were around for Hong Kong.

Also many of the people against immigration want to return to "the good old days" without "multiculturalism" back in the days we had many more colonies

Is it fair to judge public opinion in this way?

http://i.imgur.com/hyWXN.jpg

I'm not sure that the whole of the general public are hypocrites, but some certainly are. It reminds me of the fuss about the 'plastic brits' in the Olympics. Without empire and the spread of the English language we'd certainly have less opportunity to poach athletes from overseas; to me that makes a team with 'plastic brits' a truer reflection of our nation and it's history.

Archived