Visiting N Ireland..

Looking to go for an over-night stay in July, and just wondered if I needed one when visiting Northern Ireland. :)

I know that its different for Southern Ireland, but not sure about the north!

Looking to go for an over-night stay in July, and just wondered if I needed one when visiting Northern Ireland. :)

I know that its different for Southern Ireland, but not sure about the north!

I assume you mean a passport? If so you probably will - this is not a legal requirement but most carriers now ask for a passport as ID to carry you. This is definitely the case with planes but with ferries it can be a bit more flexible so try ringing them before you book.

Yeah, I did, lol.. can't believe I missed out the whole word haha!!

Hmm, this could pose a problem then, I have my Driving License, but no passport! :S

Unless things have changed since i lived over there in 2006.A driving license is good enough(on the ferry)not sure about air travel.

Yeah, I did, lol.. can't believe I missed out the whole word haha!!

Hmm, this could pose a problem then, I have my Driving License, but no passport! :S

Why would you need a passport,if you go to Northern Ireland you are still in the UK.

Why would you need a passport,if you go to Northern Ireland you are still in the UK.

Legally you do not need a passport to enter Northern Ireland. (You shouldn't, in fact, need any identification at all, but I've never made the trip so I don't know for sure.)

In practice, if you intend to fly there, some airlines will not accept anything other than a valid passport as proof of identity - even for internal flights.

Just check the requirements when you book the flight/ferry.

When I worked over in Belfast a few years ago I flew weekly from Leeds Bradford and needed a photo ID eg. passport, drivers licence etc..

Always took my drivers licence because its cheaper to replace just in case.

As a regular visiter to both north and south Ireland and not having a Passport, we always go by Ferry, no problem. As for flying, if my missus goes on her own she takes it with her, don't know if it is a required document though.

Angel.

Archived