Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes.

Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes to avoid 'damaging pupils' self esteem'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142547/Schools-deliberately-failing-correct-spelling-mistakes-avoid-damaging-pupils-self-esteem.html#ixzz1uXb15WCr

If it’s good enough for schools it must be good enough for SF, can the spelling police please find another job.:D

This is nothing new!! I remember having this conversation with my daughters teacher at junior school, 34 years ago!!!!! I was surprised to say the least when she she said it 'rocks childrens self esteem if we coreect every mistake they make'. I had never heard such rubbish in all my life!!!

The article is about one school. The Tory MP says without any evidence "There are probably thousands of schools that have got this policy but it’s a false kindness and we are letting our children down".

You missed full stops at the ends of your first and second sentences. But there are probably thousands of posters on here that have got this policy.

The article is about one school. The Tory MP says without any evidence "There are probably thousands of schools that have got this policy but it’s a false kindness and we are letting our children down".

You missed full stops at the ends of your first and second sentences. But there are probably thousands of posters on here that have got this policy.

:hihi::hihi:

if you are very hard on spelling it will make kids very cautious and they will end up using a restricted vocabulary,wary of using a bolder word for fear of a spelling error.

I think this last sentence will make my point and you may get what I mean.Reading cr*p like this will be a bore and put off the person who is reading this sentence.Do you agree with what I am writing?It is the same with kids at school who have robotic teachers.

This is nothing new!! I remember having this conversation with my daughters teacher at junior school, 34 years ago!!!!! I was surprised to say the least when she she said it 'rocks childrens self esteem if we coreect every mistake they make'. I had never heard such rubbish in all my life!!!

In which case your life hitherto must have been lacking in colour and variety.You cannot beat a decent cliche ie "surprised to say the least".I cannot fault your memory but your daughter is missing an apostrophe!

Can you now see what a debilitating process this can become yet you advocate this pedantry?

Hiya Scousemouse. I haven't read your paper which debunks the idea of self-concept. Can you give us a link to a publication so I may further my own understanding?

Cheers, Wack.

As a home educator, I decided to let my children learn in their own way, and not to interfere with their learning - I let them learn, I did not teach (research autonomous education or unschooling if you are interested in the method).

Not only did I never correct their spelling mistakes but by their own choice they actually never wrote anything down very often at all, usually just shopping lists, signing birthday cards, the odd short story that they wanted to record etc. Up to around 12 years old they very rarely put pen to paper at all. By all the accounts of school tradition, this should have meant they never learned to write or spell, as continuous practice is supposed to be necessary for these skills, but in fact it had the opposite effect.

I noted (to myself, not to comment to them) that when they were young their spelling was poor, but as they got older their spelling improved until they got to the stage where I asked them how to spell words instead of looking for the dictionary. I have noted this over and over again with home educated children. I believe schools inhibit learning :)

another load of ultra PC rubbish. I was taught to spell and punctuate correctly. Writing is a form of communication, and spelling should be corrected. These days you see evidence of poor spelling everywhere, with official signs being spelled and punctuated incorrectly. The mis-use of the apostrophe is almost universal.

Archived