Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes.

Support from parents and private tuition?

Perhaps, but what I'm saying is a teacher cannot make people want to learn. They can encourage people to learn but if someone doesn't want to to learn, they won't.

The state school education system in this country is an utter disgrace. Teachers are paid through the nose and they fail to give kids a proper start in life.

You are wrong their as most are paid by bank transfer.Your posts do suggest that education is somewhat deficient in Sheffield,especially the repetition and narrow range of expression.

Perhaps, but what I'm saying is a teacher cannot make people want to learn. They can encourage people to learn but if someone doesn't want to to learn, they won't.

Agreed - but equally a child who is wanting to learn cannot make the teacher actually teach them.....

If, as is often the case at least in Key Stage 1, a young child writes a few sentences or paragraphs completely full of mistakes, I believe it is most beneficial to target a few mistakes at a time. The child is more likely to improve if they are given a target (or even two or three targets) at a time rather than be given their work back completely full of teacher's comments which could overwhelm a young child.

Point out a few errors at a time, encourage the child to improve on those, and then target other errors. Even at secondary level, I don't think it is beneficial to scribble comments all over every single error in an error-ridden piece of work. Nothing to do with a child's self-esteem, but more to do with the fact that it is easier to improve on one, two, or three targets at a time than to expect a child to learn a hundred new spellings from one piece of marked work!

You're the King of picking up on people's spelling. You've rarely got anything else to add. There is a certain irony in taking a high-minded stance when you've got a computer checking what you write for you.

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

It's letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me so.

If, as is often the case at least in Key Stage 1, a young child writes a few sentences or paragraphs completely full of mistakes, I believe is most beneficial to target a few mistakes at a time. The child is more likely to improve if they are given a target (or even two or three targets) at a time rather than be given their work back completely full of teacher's comments which could overwhelm a young child.

Point out a few errors at a time, encourage the child to improve on those, and then target other errors.

If there are that many mistakes I would suggest the work is too hard for them so it is that, that should be changed not the level of correction.

If there are that many mistakes I would suggest the work is too hard for them so it is that, that should be changed not the level of correction.

I agree to an extent, although I'm not sure that it would be a good policy to exclude children with very poor spelling from writing sentences or paragraphs at secondary school. Many schools have been targeting small groups of children and giving them daily sessions in phonics and spelling to improve their reading and writing. The government's cost-cutting measures are putting such schemes at risk. I believe these cuts will prove very costly in the future.

Archived